DOOM Update 6.66 FAQ and Patch Notes

Introducing Update 6.66, DOOM's brand new game update filled with new multiplayer features, game fixes, and improvements. Read all about what the new update has to offer in a letter from Game Director Marty Stratton. For more info, refer to the below FAQ and patch notes.

DOOM Update 6.66 - FAQ

What is DOOM Update 6.66?

Update 6.66 brings substantial changes to the game’s multiplayer, with a revised progression system, new rune system for loadouts, enhanced kill notifications and bug fixes. In addition to these improvements, we’re upgrading all existing players’ content to include all multiplayer DLC.

Is all the DLC free with Update 6.66?

Yes, the multiplayer DLC is now bundled into the core DOOM game for free, producing the definitive DOOM experience. All of the DLC maps, weapons, armor sets and demons will be available for all players to enjoy.

What is the revised progression system?

The revised progression system will alter when and how players unlock additional guns, demons, equipment, and all of the player and weapon customization options. Instead of relying on the random distribution of unlocks, items now unlock through specific leveling requirements or through in-game challenges that the player can complete. For example, if there’s a specific helmet you want right now, you can work towards unlocking it by focusing your play style on the requirement.

What is the new rune system?

The all-new Runes replace the Hack Module system. Like Hack Modules, Runes enhance player abilities, but can be persistently equipped, which was not possible with the previous system.

What are enhanced kill notifications?

The death screen is getting an overhaul as well, now calling out how you were killed, not just who killed you. The new death screen will list out the combination of players, weapon types and damage inflicted.

Does the update reset your multiplayer progression?

Yes, Update 6.66 resets all players’ multiplayer level back to 0.

Veteran players will have the option to reset their unlock progression and experience the new progression system fresh, or retain all of their existing guns, equipment, demons and customization options that they’ve acquired or purchased while unlocking some of the new items in the revised progression system.

Do veteran players receive anything after the update?

If you’ve played multiplayer since DOOM’s release, you’ll receive a special badge indicating your veteran status.

When is the release date for Update 6.66?

Free Update 6.66 will release globally on July 19, 2017, prior to our DOOM Free Trials Weekend (details below).

Is Update 6.66 available on all platforms?

Yes, this update is free for all users on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

What is the DOOM Free Trial Weekend?

The free weekend is a great time to get hands on with one of the biggest games of 2016. You can play the first two Campaign levels and all of DOOM Multiplayer and SnapMap.  The full game can be unlocked.

Will I retain all my multiplayer progression from the Free Trial weekend?

Yes, if you play multiplayer during the Free Trial weekend and then purchase DOOM, you’ll keep all your progress and unlocks.

When is the DOOM Free Trial weekend?

Xbox Free Weekend:

Start: 11am CT on Thursday 07/20

End: 11pm CT on Sunday 07/23.

Steam Free Weekend

Start: 12PM CT on Thursday 7/20

End: 3PM CT on Sunday 07/23

PS4 Free Weekend:

Start: 11am CT on Thursday 07/27

End: 11pm CT on Sunday 07/30.

Update 6.66 Patch Notes:

Multiplayer:

• Fixed an issue where textures appeared to glow on the player’s character.
  • Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where players would respawn frozen at the beginning of a Freeze Tag round.
  • Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where parts of the player model appeared transparent in some circumstances.
  • Fixed an issue where players would disconnect from a match under certain conditions.
  • Fixed an issue in Infernal Run where picking up the ball when out of ammo would cause problems with passing or receiving the ball.
  • Fixed an issue with the Multiplayer Challenge “Aimbot Hax” where Reaper Longshots would not count towards challenge completion.
  • Fixed an issue in Multiplayer with inconsistent power item spawns on Outbreak.

SnapMap:

• Added rotate on XYZ axis to the Grab Object manipulate controls
  • Added setting to remove network limitation on single player only maps.
  • Resolved various freeze and crash bugs.
  • Fixed various matchmaking and lobby issues.
  • Fixed visual bugs that result from combining specific HUD elements
  • Fixed various freezes and crashes with using Campaign Model.
  • Fixed coop crash with Bob and Rotate settings.
  • Fixed bug that caused AI to run into blocking volumes set to Block Demons and AI Sight.
  • Improved collision issues causing AI to partially fall into blocking volumes set to Block Demons.

Bethesda.net | @Bethesda

Thanks to id/everyone involved for their continued support of the game. I still enjoy playing each of the games' three aspects so updates are always appreciated.

Though the DLC becoming free isn't unexpected considering the lead-up recently with it disappearing from the various shops, it's nice to finally see the whole scope of the multiplayer work Marty had mentioned in an interview or two earlier this year.

Regarding the reset of players' levels, I see in the article on the main site that players who achieved max level before the reset will get a special "Slayer badge." If said players choose retain their unlocks rather than have them reset, will that include being able to keep the Doom Slayer armor or will that go back to only being available at max level? (Though the answer to this will become clear once the update rolls out I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ahead of time in case the answer was available.)

Looking forward to whatever amount of life this may breathe back into the multiplayer and checking out those SnapMap updates. Being able to remove network limitations for SP maps and the improvements to how demons interact with blocking volumes sound great.

1. Thank you!

2. Are the Snapmap load times improved, or are they being looked at for improvement ?

Still not enhancements for PS4 Pro? Come on guys, show some love for PS4 Pro, lots of us are holding back buying Doom for PS4, until there is PS4 Pro support.

Thanks! :)

I'm still disappointed to not see an offline option for bots in multiplayer along with offline DLC maps. Unless its one of those hidden things not included in the patch notes but I doubt it.

Nice that the multiplayer has gone free, but what about the people who bought the Season Pass, [censored] in some countries the Season Pass was more expensive than the main game, and we get nothing for supporting you.

So no anti-cheat?

I mean it's nice a lot of cheaters left when the multiplayer died down, but they'll be back lol

Amazing!

Thanks for all DLC's.

Now i can start from level 0 again haha.

😆

Offline bots are a part of the patch. 😃It's called "Practice Mode".

@maleficus said:

Offline bots are a part of the patch. 😃It's called "Practice Mode".

Show us proof otherwise you're lying.

Why there are no NEW MONSTERS? Will we ever get new monsters? Or any plug in to help us putting new monsters into the game? Why theres a sound quote "named summoner"? Where are the bosses? Please bethesda, at least tell us if snapmap will ever get new monsters (yes or no)

Why did not they do anything to the cheaters? To you, a lot of complaints were sent, but you did not consider one and did nothing in the updates.

This is a really cool move that I think will help the game's longevity quite a bit! I hope they do something special for players who made for the season pass though...

I also appreciate the continued snapmap support. I'm working on the 3rd map of a snapmap campaign, and the rotation options will make building custom geo more tolerable. The AI seems really glitchy when placing mobs manually and the POIs seem really finicky. At any rate, the network limitation removal should help expand the scope of what some of the single player maps can do.

I worked so hard for the past two weeks to reach Echelon VIII (50+ hours), just to be sent back to Level 1. Whoever had the idea to mandatory reset the player level (without even giving the option to choose so) is a genius, that's exactly what I wanted, you should have also mandatory locked all our items as well. Thanks a bunch id, best update ever.

Network Limit Improvements in single player snapmaps? Amazing. I might be able to implement a skill points system now in my RPG on top of my farming sim, crafting, shop, leveling, boss, and potions system, assuming that memory and object limits hold up.

Just checked it out and....

Wait... NO NETWORK LIMITS?

Holy [censored].

Immediately downloading. I hoped that the dlc will be free. For sure I'll check new multi. I'm curious new AI in snapmap. Patch is big, but for sure id rebuild dlc content, and there wont be nothing new content for snapmap. Even do I'm really suprised.

Hey, so here's my problem: DOOM crashes after update 6.66

I was about to finish the campaign and now, after this update, the game crashes once and once again after a brief time playing. I was having no issues at all before the 6.66 patch. 

I'd just reinstall the whole thing if there was the option of NOT to update, since I don't play DOOM in MP, but aparently there isn't. Any help, please?

CPU: i7 950 3.07 GHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 6 GB DIMM DDR

There is only one thing missing, the possibility to set Ammo for different Weapons. And all Weaponmods from the Campaign in Snapmap. Thx id, Bethesda and Escalation Studios.

Update full failure. 

It was necessary to develop such [censored] on 32 GB and the problem with cheaters can not be solved.

I haven't played the multiplayer for this game, but now I'll definitely have to give it a chance. That being said, this seems like a bit of a middle finger to those that had previously played the multiplayer and or bought the season pass. Not only do people get content that they paid $40 for free, but now their stats are more or less wiped for the sake of balance. Like I've already stated, I haven't played multiplayer as of yet, but I'm definitely interested in hearing what others think about this.

Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.