Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Heroes of Skyrim: An update on cards

We’re incredibly excited to see how popular Heroes of Skyrim has been with all of you. We knew people would love to play with some of their favorite creatures and characters from Skyrim, but this has surpassed our expectations, so we want to take a quick moment to say thank you to all the awesome members of our community who have played Heroes of Skyrim and posted set review videos, pack opening screen shots, card ranking articles and everything else in-between. The game is only getting better, and you’re a huge part of that.

One of the things a digital card game allows us to do is adjust cards on the fly.  We’ve been pretty vocal about tapping into this with Legends and we’re always looking at the meta game and data behind the scenes to see how we can make adjustments for the health of the game. With that in mind, based on the feedback we’re already seeing, we’re currently looking at adjusting the following cards in coming patches.

• Praetorian Commander
  • Echos of Akatosh
  • Bringer of Nightmares
  • Belligerent Giant

Besides these card adjustments, we’ll also be performing hotfixes soon to address bugs introduced with Heroes of Skyrim like Silence, Wabbajack interactions, reported issues w/ localization and more. 

Once again, thank you to everyone for your continued support. Your feedback, and passion are critical to the success of Legends. We’ll see you on the battlefield.

Assistant Director, Community Lead @ Bethesda Softworks

bethesda.net | @bethesda | @gstaffinfection

Belligerent Giant is perfect :(

and what's wrong with Nightmares?, hope don't make a change like first choice the creature without see the card in wich it will turn into, if is that, the card is going to dissapear from all decks

Indeed . I don't see the problem with Bringer of Nightmares or Belligerent Giant . If those two needs to be toned down , then you can be sure you'll have a whole lot more to do then since there are more cards out there that are worse than those two . Unless they need a boost .

I really hope the feedback that pushed those changes are the metagame + actual game stats, and not the vocal minority at the forums... At least UR is not in the list.

Also hope Belligerent change means no more than removing his BT. Seriously, why would this solid card need an adjustment now? Did the last change to his unsummon effect prove to be stronger than expected, kappa?

Be careful with important changes in a card, it could be annoying, I think is better to ban that card than change it, if one card is playing much, maybe you must to launch one that counter it, not change the first. It is possible to adjust its ability, but don't change it more.

With all the threads I see complaining about UR, I'm surprised that didn't make the list.

@Skar_DCS-SDR said:

Be careful with important changes in a card, it could be annoying, I think is better to ban that card than change it, if one card is playing much, maybe you must to launch one that counter it, not change the first. It is possible to adjust its ability, but don't change it more.

I agree. I already picture the situation where said cards (PC and EoA, I mean) are modified in the way that most players don't like. And we get another round of complaints: "No!!! Why did you do X when you were supposed to do Y?!!"

It may be safer to remove said cards for good.

@alexsem6 said:

@Skar_DCS-SDR said:
 I agree. I already picture the situation where said cards (PC and EoA, I mean) are modified in the way that most players don't like. And we get another round of complaints: "No!!! Why did you do X when you were supposed to do Y?!!"
It may be safer to remove said cards for good.

Or people who do nothing but whine about so-called OP cards can just leave the game, because they ruin it.

@SnarkLord1980 said:

Or people who do nothing but whine about so-called OP cards can just leave the game, because they ruin it.

When cards are OP they should be balanced or people will leave. You should win because you play well, not because you use OP cards.

@Eliahnus said:

@SnarkLord1980 said:

When cards are OP they should be balanced or people will leave. You should win because you play well, not because you use OP cards.

But who decides a card is OP?

People whine about UR being OP, but it barely even sees play anywhere but low levels of ranked.

@SnarkLord1980 said:

@Eliahnus said:
@SnarkLord1980 said:

But who decides a card is OP?
People whine about UR being OP, but it barely even sees play anywhere but low levels of ranked.

It's dead obvious that you never have had that card used against you in it's most horrible way (either by a drain or breaktrough creature) . Otherwise you would be less defending of the card . I know what it can do because I tried it out myself and I was appaled at it's abusive ways you could use it . Heven't been using it since because that card ain't fun . So yeah , that one should also get the nerf ban or more new people will leave this game .

A thought for a way to re-balance Praetorian Commander and Echoes of Akatosh would be that in addition to applying their bonus to each card they also increase its cost by 1.

@Erdagon said:

@SnarkLord1980 said:
@Eliahnus said:
@SnarkLord1980 said:
 But who decides a card is OP? People whine about UR being OP, but it barely even sees play anywhere but low levels of ranked.
It's dead obvious that you never have had that card used against you in it's most horrible way (either by a drain or breaktrough creature) . Otherwise you would be less defending of the card . I know what it can do because I tried it out myself and I was appaled at it's abusive ways you could use it . Heven't been using it since because that card ain't fun . So yeah , that one should also get the nerf ban or more new people will leave this game .

Actually, I have had it used against me. The issue is, most games are over before they have the combo required to use UR to the best of it's ability. 

since pretorian is out, i had quit playing ranked, only friendly match or solo arena, and if i find people in friendly who use that card i give up...

can we have a card with the face of who created that power, that say sorry when played? XD

anyway great game, thanks for the work

Well, enjoy those 4 cards before they become totally useless and you after dust them!

The vocal minority get there way...with fun nerfed again...

Interestingly enough, Heathstone in there next expansion have there version of a Praetorian Commander, gives +1/+! to all cards in deck. Be interesting to see how the community react to that over there.

Will compensation be given out to those players who have those cards? For example full soul value, so we can get some new cards to replace them?

Yes of course, all cards become useless, after they are nerfed! Look at these unplayable cards like Mantikora, Moonlight Werebat, Elusive Schemer, Hist Grove and Tazkad the Packmaster! Unplayable pile of garbage!!!!!!!!11!!!11111!!!!!!!oneoneeleven!!! It's absolutely time to rage out and postulate the apocalypse! Hussa! #ReasonableReaction #AdultBehavior #RaidBethesdaNow

English is not my native language. If I get anything wrong, please feel free to blame the german education system and google translate.

@Erdagon said:

Indeed . I don't see the problem with Bringer of Nightmares or Belligerent Giant . If those two needs to be toned down , then you can be sure you'll have a whole lot more to do then since there are more cards out there that are worse than those two . Unless they need a boost .

YEA...just remainding "no skill game breaker piercing javelin". Still the worst %&^&*&* from all yellow fellow cards.

Dozens of duels were only played against Javelins lol.Literally opponents didnt do nothing better...

Leave giant alone:P!

Overdue.  The Praetorian Commander card is absurdly idiotic.  It is so incredibly overpowered, frankly the effect should not exist at all in that form.  Every card in your deck?  I just played a guy who dropped 3 of them, then summoned a dead one back from his deck twice, and had every card getting +10/10, including the new Commanders.  Come on.  That was a pretty extreme example, but that thing is insane.  We even went to the 13th round, so it is not like he smashed me...it was very close, but impossible to compete with every card coming out 11/11 or higher.  I could see making it something like an Rare action that has like 5 uses or something, or keeping the Commander as a unit but making it higher cost and/or unique and apply to the next 5 units or something.

I see we are concentrating more on nerfing late game build up cards than the aggro infested ladder that exists.  I must be on a completely different server then the rest of you.  Face face face, games are over by turn 8 and you all are worried about adjusting cards at 6+ mana.  Please.

Would love to see this "data" you keep referencing that you make your changes based on because what it shows it not what I see in almost each game I play.  Show us the graphs and plots and the data pool it is coming from.  Until then, i see no reason to trust that you are using real ladder game data.

Echo of Akatosh, now a worthless card, oh you might get a creature with a keyword but for its cost and place in the decks, a lot better cards can now fill that slot.  Its only purpose now is to fill dragon slots to reduce Alduin.

Praetorian commander...only +1/+1 ok fine, but now raise up its attack and health by 1 or 2 so it is not a completely wasted turn 6 card.

Belligerent giant...such a minor and pointless change, who cares what lane it goes in, it has such low heath anyway it gets blasted away usually with just a single action card.

Bringer of Nightmares...eh i haven't seen this card played enough to even figure out if it is really worth the mana cost.

"There is literally nothing wrong with using a net deck."

Except that it shows you are incapable of thinking up a deck build on your own.