Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Official TES VI Location and Setting Thread

Bethesda hasn't commented about the future of the Elder Scrolls series, but one of the most common topics of speculation is where the next game will be set. Rather than trying to keep this in the official suggestion/discussion thread we've decided to give this a separate topic.

This discussion doesn't need to be tied entirely to geography; other setting details are also appropriate. However, let's keep this focused on the game world and leave other matters (such as gameplay mechanics or NPCs) in the main TES VI Ideas and Gameplay Speculation #1

Forum Rules I Code of Conduct I Terms of Service I Help Site

Maybe in the next game has the character going after the Thalmor (aka Aldmeri Dominion) which stretches from Summerset Isles to Valenwood and Elsweyr. 

A game encompassing the entirety of the Aldmeri Dominion, while still more possible than all of Tamriel, would still be both incredibly difficult to pull of and would likely result in a drop in quality. You just can't get the same quality you expect from a single province game from a game with two or three provinces. Though, I could see them focusing on one province and showcasing parts of other provinces as DLC. 

For example, Valenwood could have a DLC encompassing the entirety of the island of Auridon, as well as a DLC encompassing the small island of Stirk. Or Black Marsh could have a Tribunal-style DLC set in the city of Necrom, located on a small peninsula that juts out from the Telvanni peninsula, supposedly surrounded by steep cliffs, and a Bloodmoon-style DLC set in Port Telvannis.

@LegateZanUjcic said:

A game encompassing the entirety of the Aldmeri Dominion, while still more possible than all of Tamriel...

Well Arena took place in all of Tamriel and Online also covers all of Tamriel to some degree :D.

Yeah, though one was about as generic-Fantasy as a cardboard cutout, and one is even mire highly scaled than the last 3 numbered titles. 

I'd rather they stick with a single province until they're able to ramp the scale back up to 1:1. And even then, doing multiple provinces means splitting the focus. ESO actually did better in most regards than Bethesda themselves do, but its cultural reflections are still a little weak. The more provinces they do, the less detailed the people and cultures within them are going to be.q

Through Death, we gain Vengeance. Through Vengeance, we gain Justice. Through Justice we are Reborn. Hail Ynnead, salvation of the Eldar.

Cultural representation in TES games will never reach the highly complex levels that would be best, Skyrim levels of complexity is the realistic quality of cultural representation we will see.

I agree that one province per game is best, but an idea i recently had, is to split the province into areas, the base game is focused on the largest area, and expansions add new areas of the province to the game. It theoretically will help enhance the uniqueness of each area

example -TES 6 Summerset isles

• base game = Summerset isle
  • DLC/expansion 1 = Auridon
  • DLC/expansion 2 = Artaeum

@hannibal41 said:

Cultural representation in TES games will never reach the highly complex levels that would be best, Skyrim levels of complexity is the realistic quality of cultural representation we will see.

While I agree, that doesn't mean it's what I will accept.

Bethesda needs to get off its [censored], stop worrying about confusing people or offending, and create interesting and diverse cultures instead of comedic caricatures of them. Skyrim was a step up from the pathetic representation of Cyrodiil, but even it was a muted, sad reflection of their own lore, let alone the potential. 

Morrowind sets the bar, and even it has plenty of room to grow. If they can't at least match Morrowind, I will complain, and rightly so. 

Through Death, we gain Vengeance. Through Vengeance, we gain Justice. Through Justice we are Reborn. Hail Ynnead, salvation of the Eldar.

@PseronWyrd said:

Bethesda hasn't commented about the future of the Elder Scrolls series, but one of the most common topics of speculation is where the next game will be set. Rather than trying to keep this in the official suggestion/discussion thread we've decided to give this a separate topic.
This discussion doesn't need to be tied entirely to geography; other setting details are also appropriate. However, let's keep this focused on the game world and leave other matters (such as gameplay mechanics or NPCs) in the main TES VI Ideas and Gameplay Speculation #1

Hey, you're a mod now, Pseron? That's awesome.

@LegateZanUjcic said:

A game encompassing the entirety of the Aldmeri Dominion, while still more possible than all of Tamriel, would still be both incredibly difficult to pull of and would likely result in a drop in quality. You just can't get the same quality you expect from a single province game from a game with two or three provinces. Though, I could see them focusing on one province and showcasing parts of other provinces as DLC. 
For example, Valenwood could have a DLC encompassing the entirety of the island of Auridon, as well as a DLC encompassing the small island of Stirk. Or Black Marsh could have a Tribunal-style DLC set in the city of Necrom, located on a small peninsula that juts out from the Telvanni peninsula, supposedly surrounded by steep cliffs, and a Bloodmoon-style DLC set in Port Telvannis.

Depending on the story I could perhaps see something like an Auridon DLC for Valenwood happening, but I'd rather it be something a bit smaller. And if we had something like Auridon, there ought to be a fair amount of the Altmer culture present in the game, meaning Bethesda would have to try to flesh out two cultures. I am doubtful that it would be done sufficiently. Something like Topal Isle as a DLC in a game set in Elsweyr or Black Marsh would be doable, I think.

"I so do love mortal fantasy. I'll play along: what will you give me for the soul of Prince A'Tor?"
"I'll spell your name right on your tombstone."
-Cyrus facing Nafaalilargus, The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard.

Perhaps the DLC for the next game, regardless of its actual provincial setting, should take us to an already explored province. That way, bethesda wouldn't have to get into the effort of defining not only the culture of the vanilla game's province but another one as well.

Example: if we go to Valenwood, the DLC should be in Skyrim, Morrowind or Cyrodiil, with Cyrodiil offering the easiest development (because of its physical proximity.)

If, OTOH, we go to Hammerfell, Skyrim would probably be a better choice for one of the DLC. Granted, Hammerfell borders Cyrodiil, but if memory serves, the Cyrodiilian border with Hammerfell was somewhat bare in Oblivion. I think it would be easier to hop from Hammerfell to Markarth or Solitude.

Regardless: exploring a new culture in a DLC is risky for Bethesda.

p.s. I absolutely guarantee that in the next ES we will see one DLC that takes us back to Skyrim or a place that is very evocative of the province. The demand from the fan base for a visit to the land of the Nords will be overwhelming.

@chickenkungfu said:

p.s. I absolutely guarantee that in the next ES we will see one DLC that takes us back to Skyrim or a place that is very evocative of the province. The demand from the fan base for a visit to the land of the Nords will be overwhelming.

There are already areas in both High Rock and Hammerfell what would easily offer that.

I hope it will be Hammerfell, and to be fair Skyrim does kind of set up ES6 for being in that Province with all the things going on there....And after all a similar thing happened in Fallout 3 where Boston was mentioned, and that turned into Fallout 4.

But even if its not Hammerfell i will play it.

Lelith Hesperax is the greatest treasure of the Dark City, and one does not display one's finest emerald amid squalor

My Elder Scrolls 6 website has a pretty in depth main quest so far, set in Elsweyr during the Second Great War of man and elf as the player attempts to reunite the sixteen Khajiit kingdoms of old in a bid to resurrect the Mane:

https://reeseevans.wixsite.com...

I drew inspiration from discussions on the previous board.

@PseronWyrd said:

I'd say a war in Valenwood where you can either play as the Thalmor or Imperial rebels.

The Official Akavir-Thrassian Ambassador to the Empire entered the Imperial city, breathing heavily. A guard approached him, asking what was wrong. The man sneered and glared at the guard. "Those bloody Stormcloaks made me take an arrow in the knee!"

@DemonicEssence1104 said:

I'd say a war in Valenwood where you can either play as the Thalmor or Imperial rebels.

But then how do you deal with a resolution? Do you just leave it like the Civil War, where the Players Choice is little more than pandering? Do you try to pull of the slow, entropic collapse of functionality that is the Bioware model? Do you just pick a side to win down the road and say to hell with 50% of people's decisions?

@Lachdonin said:

But then how do you deal with a resolution? Do you just leave it like the Civil War, where the Players Choice is little more than pandering? Do you try to pull of the slow, entropic collapse of functionality that is the Bioware model? Do you just pick a side to win down the road and say to hell with 50% of people's decisions?

I see. You have a point

The Official Akavir-Thrassian Ambassador to the Empire entered the Imperial city, breathing heavily. A guard approached him, asking what was wrong. The man sneered and glared at the guard. "Those bloody Stormcloaks made me take an arrow in the knee!"

I see. You have a point

To be clear, I'm pretty biased against 'Pick a Side' and 'Alternative Ending' style stories, and view them as lazy, overly Player-Driven messes that cause problems within a franchise... As such, I tend to be a bit quick to criticize those sort of situations. 

That doesn't mean that others don't love those styles of stories, of course. 

@AngryNord said:

@chickenkungfu said:

There are already areas in both High Rock and Hammerfell what would easily offer that.

Excellent! 

@reeseevans said:

My Elder Scrolls 6 website has a pretty in depth main quest so far, set in Elsweyr during the Second Great War of man and elf as the player attempts to reunite the sixteen Khajiit kingdoms of old in a bid to resurrect the Mane:
https://reeseevans.wixsite.com...

I drew inspiration from discussions on the previous board.

The presentation alone warrants praise, and the idea is pretty solid. I do think that sixteen sub-quests right out of the gate is a bit intimidating though. I mean sure, they can be accomplished in any particular order, but I think those sub-quests could be spaced out a little through a three act structure. Three to four, eight at most could be presented to the player and form the core of the second act, while the first act, comprised of the prologue, the escape from Leyawiin and the trek to the north, as well as the communing with the Mane, would make for an excellent first act. The rest could be presented in the third act, or could be discovered over the course of the game through exploration, with various quests giving clues to the identity of the remaining sought individuals.

A while back Lachdonin presented the idea of the Thalmor using Mirror Logicians still trapped fighting the Numidium in the moment of the Dragon Break to try and erase the Numidium and by doing so erase Talos, or something to that effect. That idea always stuck with me. Elsweyr's Halls of the Colossus - a secret Imperial facility where the Numidium was assembled, which has since been abandoned due to strange radiation poisoning the surrounding area. Such a location should certainly be utilised. Lorkhaj and the dro-m'Athra are certainly somehow connected to the Void Nights. Perhaps the Thalmor could be attempting to utilize the power of Lorkhaj in the construction of a new Mantella to either power the recovered Numidium, or somehow destroy the Numidium still engaged in the Dragon Break?

Overall, I think your idea is very well thought-out and would make for an exceptional game.

@Lachdonin said:

I don't think that the lore should impact the game quality. I mean, who cares how the Civil War really turns out? It's the fact that there IS player choice, rather than forcing them to make decisions, that adds to the role playing nature of the game. To hell with the lore consequences. Game quality > lore.

I love every Bethesda game since Morrowind pretty much equally. Bizarre, huh?

Migrated from the Bethsoft forums, where my username was 'The Silent Shadow' :)

Xbox, for those interested: IndorilNereguar

Very nicely done @reeseevans , I suppose that just seeing such thing written by yourself is already its own reward, regardless if the next game is about penguins or something, but your premise is one of the best I´ve seen in the few months I´ve been reading things about TES.

I´m not sure the phrasing of @Nereguar up here is as accurate as he wanted, by I think I agree. I mean, it´s not that lore doesn´t impact in the game quality, lore is half of what makes TES a good game. It´s just that this lore is absolutely independent of players, and believing otherwise and trying to make it work is just foolish. The decisions available to players must be created by their own merit in terms of gameplay, and not on the fact that they might affect the lore, becuse they don´t. Saying "to hell with 99% of people´s decisions" is the right thing to do if 99% of people did not understand the character and its choices, and that can´t take the fun away from the past of all these people. If you presented a good game to people, and they don´t buy the following iteration because the story didn´t turn out exactly how they wanted, you really don´t want to depend on that market, because they´re paying you to read their minds and not to enjoy your work.

Any entity that acts against the condemnation of racism is responsible for its existence. Any person sustaining such entity in any way is guilty of the perpetrations of such ideals.

Bye, scum.