Shooting Father Bemusement

This time through the Institute my character shot Father immediately following Institutionalized.  She was able to escape easily because the lower elevator was very near.  No synths were awaiting her at the relay control chamber.  She got a major scolding from some unknown voice for killing her son, and a warning that they would hunt her down and kill her.

I tip-toed around the Commonwealth, expecting to be ambushed around every corner, but nothing unusual happened through acquiring the two final settlements for Form Ranks.  Defend the Castle went swimmingly.  The sight of Courser's bodies flying through the air from the force of the turrets warmed my heart and made me giggle.  I collected six Courser uniforms, which is the most I have ever collected in one battle.  I know there was one down by the diner as well that disappeared before I could get there.

I truncated my time with the Railroad this time, completing only the two Butcher's Bills, settling Mercer Safehouse and doing Concierge, and retrieving one DIA cache.  Mercer Safehouse is at Coastal Cottage, which suits me in terms of RP because the synths can be heading for the refuge in Far Harbor.

I was bemused, however, when we invaded the Institute and I went to Father's chambers.  As I entered, I glanced at the sickbed.  No one in that, so that appeared good.  I addressed myself to the computer and turned to leave. There was father, spread-eagled and turned on his side, suspended in the air over the sofa.  I had to laugh.  It was game mechanics at work, not taxidermy.  I looted the body and went on.

When the charge was set on the reactor and we were relayed to the relay control center, there was the kid synth.  He still insisted he was my son.  I hadn't saved recently so after some conversational struggle I surrendered to the inevitable.  It's obvious to me that Bethesda never intended you to shoot Father before he had a chance to re-program the kid.  I guess you were supposed to realize your mistake and reload, when that voice scolded you on your way out the first time?

Game code funky like that.  

More fun with sorry game, have I confused you?    is Glory.  Run the 5th ending and glory is a zombie for all intents and purposes. Jsut a shell of an NCP, no convo's and while I didn't wait around forever to hear her speak, no side comments jsut blurted out.   Glory on most endings is supposed to die.   For that 5th ending...they never scripted her living it seems.  So she seems to have no real AI anymore past a certain point.   

Also funky AI in terms of getting Curie's body.  If you do this before seeing the RR...the synth's handler is not Glory.  After the RR is met then curie hooked up. it is glory.  Issue.   Even if you do this before the RR meeting (again a different handler)   the game carries on as if glory was the handler. And man does she whine on about it.....

The child synth was a project in the works long before the SS makes their way down into the Institute, so there's that, at least.  Doctor Li's ...holotapes?  Terminal? whichever indicates the project had nearly been completed, with the child having emotional responses, etc.  It likely wouldn't have been a big jump to take the image of the SS and have it imprinted into the synth as it's parent.  An obvious loop hole to this line of imaginative thinking is if for whatever reason you go get major plastic facial reconstructive surgery before going back to the Institute where you shouldn't be recognizable but...it's a video game.  I accept its limitations. ;)  I see it as a device to just kind of twist a knife a bit, you think you can just detonate the reactor and wash your hands clean of the place, but NOPE now you got a child on your conscience.

Or, not.  When I cleared out the Brotherhood ending I assume he got ported back to the Prydwen and I had zero intention of going back to even talk to him.  He's their problem, now.  I made a beeline back to collect Danse and we clanked off into the sunset.  Or something.

I took that threat seriously, as well.  I slit Father's throat just to see what would happen and I had to flee for my life.  I didn't much care for the whole "HE WAS YOUR SON" attempt at a guilt trip, though.  He was my son in 2077...but the Institute took him, raised him, indoctrinated him.  Blood ties were all we had.  Don't you sass me, anonymous voice!  Relationships are complicated!!

Gunsmoke and Blades - https://bethesda.net/community/topic/31329/gunsmoke-and-blades
LEGENDARY! - https://bethesda.net/community/topic/36104/legendary

@hidden_markov said:

Game code funky like that.  
More fun with sorry game, have I confused you?    is Glory.  Run the 5th ending and glory is a zombie for all intents and purposes. Jsut a shell of an NCP, no convo's and while I didn't wait around forever to hear her speak, no side comments jsut blurted out.   Glory on most endings is supposed to die.   For that 5th ending...they never scripted her living it seems.  So she seems to have no real AI anymore past a certain point.   
Also funky AI in terms of getting Curie's body.  If you do this before seeing the RR...the synth's handler is not Glory.  After the RR is met then curie hooked up. it is glory.  Issue.   Even if you do this before the RR meeting (again a different handler)   the game carries on as if glory was the handler. And man does she whine on about it.....

If you never click Talk on her, you can sometimes get the zombie to say she really wants you to join the Railroad, and then express delight that you have agreed to do so.  But she does whine a lot over transplanting Curie into the synth vegetable.  Even after you get back to the Railroad, she complains.  Then she goes back to being a zombie.  Twice I had her killed in Malden Center and had to reload, but once I had decided to go ahead and let her be killed, she never was killed again.

@SkirtWithAWeapon said:

The child synth was a project in the works long before the SS makes their way down into the Institute, so there's that, at least.  Doctor Li's ...holotapes?  Terminal? whichever indicates the project had nearly been completed, with the child having emotional responses, etc.  It likely wouldn't have been a big jump to take the image of the SS and have it imprinted into the synth as it's parent.  An obvious loop hole to this line of imaginative thinking is if for whatever reason you go get major plastic facial reconstructive surgery before going back to the Institute where you shouldn't be recognizable but...it's a video game.  I accept its limitations. ;)  I see it as a device to just kind of twist a knife a bit, you think you can just detonate the reactor and wash your hands clean of the place, but NOPE now you got a child on your conscience.
Or, not.  When I cleared out the Brotherhood ending I assume he got ported back to the Prydwen and I had zero intention of going back to even talk to him.  He's their problem, now.  I made a beeline back to collect Danse and we clanked off into the sunset.  Or something.
I took that threat seriously, as well.  I slit Father's throat just to see what would happen and I had to flee for my life.  I didn't much care for the whole "HE WAS YOUR SON" attempt at a guilt trip, though.  He was my son in 2077...but the Institute took him, raised him, indoctrinated him.  Blood ties were all we had.  Don't you sass me, anonymous voice!  Relationships are complicated!!

The synth kid was terrified of my SS when they first met.  There was only the time it took for my SS to meet the department heads, before my SS shot Father twice in the chest.  It was those earlier comments about what a loss the surface dwellers were, combined with the holotapes and terminal entries about the tricks they were up to, that caused the shooting.  I suppose Father might have recorded the holotape and reprogrammed the synth kid during that time.  It didn't seem that long to me, but game time is deceptive.  I agree that Father was no longer her son, and had not been from the moment he was kidnapped.  59 years of Institute indoctrination made him someone completely different from that tiny baby, and someone completely antithetical to the concepts of individual freedom, loose co-dependence with your neighbors, and loving companionships that my SS believes in.  I can't imagine anyone else in the Institute taking the trouble after you've killed Father.  One good point was that there was no radio announcement telling the world to leave the Institute alone.  I kind of expected the anonymous voice to make the not-so-veiled threats instead, but there was no broadcast that I was aware of.  I did try to listen for it because i was curious how well the program would adjust to what I had done.  The answer seems to be "so-so".

Synth Shaun is currently living at the Castle and will move where-ever I relocate Sturges when I finally rescue Curie from the diseased mole rats, so the three can live as a family.  I dread that quest because I was totally incapable of completing it without getting bitten before I installed esk's mod that removes the teleporting.  I mean, really, rats that can burrow up a flight of steel stairs and bite through X-01 VI PA?  Why not just say "It's airborne.  Poof, you're diseased.  Now go make a moral decision."  My reaction times are not those of a young male and I have to go slowly with occasional reloads even with the mod.  I also hate the tour by the kid.  He stands and stares at you, and then turns and bolts through the corridors.  If you don't run with your nose right up his butt, you fail the quest.  I guess they made the interval so tight in that Vault because people were using the ability to temporarily back away from conversations to cheat with the serum, but it is very annoying with that kid.  I'd like to smack the programmer, who I imagine to be snickering somewhere, upside the head for that one.  /end rant  *laughing*

@slinkletter said:

This time through the Institute my character shot Father immediately following Institutionalized.  She was able to escape easily because the lower elevator was very near.  No synths were awaiting her at the relay control chamber.  She got a major scolding from some unknown voice for killing her son, and a warning that they would hunt her down and kill her.
I tip-toed around the Commonwealth, expecting to be ambushed around every corner, but nothing unusual happened through acquiring the two final settlements for Form Ranks.  Defend the Castle went swimmingly.  The sight of Courser's bodies flying through the air from the force of the turrets warmed my heart and made me giggle.  I collected six Courser uniforms, which is the most I have ever collected in one battle.  I know there was one down by the diner as well that disappeared before I could get there.
I truncated my time with the Railroad this time, completing only the two Butcher's Bills, settling Mercer Safehouse and doing Concierge, and retrieving one DIA cache.  Mercer Safehouse is at Coastal Cottage, which suits me in terms of RP because the synths can be heading for the refuge in Far Harbor.
I was bemused, however, when we invaded the Institute and I went to Father's chambers.  As I entered, I glanced at the sickbed.  No one in that, so that appeared good.  I addressed myself to the computer and turned to leave. There was father, spread-eagled and turned on his side, suspended in the air over the sofa.  I had to laugh.  It was game mechanics at work, not taxidermy.  I looted the body and went on.
When the charge was set on the reactor and we were relayed to the relay control center, there was the kid synth.  He still insisted he was my son.  I hadn't saved recently so after some conversational struggle I surrendered to the inevitable.  It's obvious to me that Bethesda never intended you to shoot Father before he had a chance to re-program the kid.  I guess you were supposed to realize your mistake and reload, when that voice scolded you on your way out the first time?

I don't think player characters were supposed to be the 'shoot first, talk later' types.

@Gungho1 said:

@slinkletter said:
 I don't think player characters were supposed to be the 'shoot first, talk later' types.

She had already talked to him, and then to all of his top-level sub-ordinates.  Her mind was made up and she started with the main problem, which was this abomination who claimed blood-kin ties to her now when he hadn't even thought about her for most of his life.  She thought that with the head cut off, the body might be in disarray.  This turned out not to be the case (surprise, surprise). 

In previous play-throughs I got kicked out of the Institute mostly by shooting Ayo.  Once I stabbed him.  Twice I shot Father on his deathbed during the invasion, once after he gave me the password, and once because he would not give me the password.  The latter was because my SS expressed concern over him.  She would have liked to take him out with her and save him.  He refused to even talk to her after two conversational gambits, however.  Apparently the game has some limit on the number of choices you can make before the conversation is over.  Stubborn old coot had it coming (this from a player who is older in RL than Father is in the game *chuckle*).

Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.