Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

I would have liked more existing settlements. I just started a new game - Ignoring Sanctuary and Red rocket and just started wandering. 

While exploring I counted a total of five settlers in the entire upper left corner of the map, which is supposed to be the safe part of the map (2 at Ten Pines Bluff and 3 at Abernathy farm - not counting traders). 

This area should have been built up more - eg: Sanctuary would have been better if it had been a farming settlement already established and you started the quest there.

Of course TES lore beats the Witcher's lore. But Fallout 4 forces you into that crap story of looking for your son as well, your forced to tell people your looking for him during dialogue with Piper for example, you can't leave that dialogue until you go the direction the game wants, again with other dialogue options, be sarcastic... if you could even call it sarcasm, your conversation is cut and if you re-enter the conversation you suddenly know all about skinny Malone (Looking for Nick Valetine quest) the same with the MM, they invite themselves into sanctuary then ask if your willing to do some work... of course you can refuse but you can't do anything else apart from saying yes or no, how about exiling them and discovering your choice has lead to them to being butchered by the quarry.It's just lazy. 

Only gripe I have with the Witcher 3 is the required level for weapons and armor, being level 4 but requiring level 37 is a melt, by the time you reach that level, your 3 years older and forget what your leveling for... and the fact you can't sneak or crouch is crap. I'm playing the Witcher more now over Fallout and I don't feel as if I'm being reigned into the story as they want me to do it, the amount of side quests that are so well written, the Witcher contracts along with treasure contracts, side quests along with the politics and racism involved, gives you ample choices and paths to lead Geralt... and although your a fixed character, it adds so much, you forget that issue or I at least do but Geralt is a great character. A few weeks ago, I remember two lads talking about the Witcher, both had completely contrasting endings and they ended up debating how they made choices... all I've heard about FO4 endings is criticism.

Oblivion is my favorite Bethesda game, if they remastered that, I'd buy it in a heart beat, I'd even look forward to it more over upcoming titles because if the "deliberate" poor writing is the accepted path for future games, with the accepted attitude surrounding bugs..." Oh its Bethesda, you have to expect that". No you shouldn't, not anymore. 

You said it yourself and I agree, they can write good quests and material, so why aren't they... should the franchise not deserve the best, its not like they can't afford it and make back the money. Oblivion was good at the time of its release or I at least was content with it,.. running with that theme of being released from some sort of captivity and having the world at your feet would be a good foundation for future titles.

Only thing I fault with FO4 is the story (Quests,dialogue and voice over,bugs) the honeymoon period with the mods are over for me now unfortunately and I just can't get into it anymore. I think the hype for F04 was it's ultimate curse, it didn't live up to it, so it's not really the games fault. Lets hope the next one beats all expectations, writing is on par, everything is improved but I wouldn't hold my breath as the game is a little too PG nowadays, even with all the killing and chem's... in my opinion lol

@Fenrus said:

I would have liked more existing settlements. I just started a new game - Ignoring Sanctuary and Red rocket and just started wandering. 
While exploring I counted a total of five settlers in the entire upper left corner of the map, which is supposed to be the safe part of the map (2 at Ten Pines Bluff and 3 at Abernathy farm - not counting traders). 
This area should have been built up more - eg: Sanctuary would have been better if it had been a farming settlement already established and you started the quest there.

Doing a no settlement character now.

Checking the Pipboy I have Sanctuary and Red Rocket.  Sanctuary has Preston's gang and a happiness of 4 (I have to smile every time I see that).  I still have the quest to see Preston at Sanctuary ... that will never happen.  Red Rocket has zero settlers and is just my player home.

I've liberated some settlement areas just playing around but I never touch the bench.  I also have some quests done for settlements but I never talk to the settlers there.  The settlement freedom is just amazing.

I still have the quest to ask about Shawn in DC.  Been there, haven't done it and am not going to.  I know the interview with Piper forces the issue so I'll never do it.  In my SS eyes both her husband and child are dead so she's not looking for them.  She just has a lot of bitterness and hate inside her now and will kill anyone that looks at her the wrong way.  Dogmeat is her only companion.

@hidden_markov said:

@Plebeian said:
@kyra said:
It is question, when will micromanagement become a  chore instead challenge ? Player should be motivated to improve, not punished for not  improving.
Bullseye.  This is exactly what kills a lot of "Survival" games for me.  Does the "realism" add to challenge, immersion, and a desire to move forward...or does it suck up every waking moment of my gameplay, constantly interrupting every other action with incessant demands to fix that, eat that, drink something, now I'm sick, oh!...I randomly fell walking along level ground and broke my ankle and it immediately became infected... 😡 Fun, fun, fun, right?
You forgot insomnia as a disease after you do too many small saves in a short time frame.   Which i resort to  given the bipolar nature of the game.   Some days I can run no issues for hours.   Some days...its not a question of if I get vats freeze of doom if not complete dump crash....but when and how often.  
 I

I still can't believe that Beth put such a save mechanic into the game.  Their games are brilliant fun, and the awards for all the hard work that goes into them is well deserved!  But trying to pretend that their games are or have ever been stable enough to support an "iron man mode" is simply...ridiculous.  Beth games are the most notoriously, continuously buggy games in gaming history.  Adding that save "feature" as a requirement of Survival gameplay is a sign that someone on the team is majorly out-of-touch with the reality of their product.

@FreyjaIceDragon said:

@Plebeian said:
Note, I'm generalizing the mentality behind a lot of "Survival" type games, not directly relating to FO4.
 Exactly why I not like Survival mode, it not like real life at all, make believe things to con player into thinking your really surviving. Being out there and doing what game does is not like the survival levels you describe, that wildest fantasy of game writers. Yes check you have food, ammo, weapon is good and other thing needed, most the time nothing happen, no one get too tired or lose strength because not eaten today, that silly idea (not yours the writers) Getting sick is not that common when out and some medicines are there for you if you need.
Very funny what game makers think, obviously have no real idea? 

@kyra said:

Depends. When you re balance some things - like the rates of thirst, timescales and things, it comes pretty neat. There was one flaw in New Vegas on their Hard Mode that bothered me, and it is NOT New vegas fault alone. Other survival games do that too. When you have survivalist perks, your food would heal more and faster than stimpaks. "Wait here deathclaw, I run behind that stone, eat some odd junk that tases like dirt and sand, but heals my wounds wuick" ,,,, I rather see stimpaks do tehir job faster. Stimpaks are something from the Falloutuniverse that does not have to make sense in our world. But they  work within their world and my character  is in THAT world, and it is cool iof that world has rapid heal medical device. Fine, makes sense in THAT world. But food healing better than that makes no sense. Seen this on other games too where medicine heals less than cooked rat. 

(Boldface for people that don't want to read.)

I think it's due to the wide disparity between developers and producers again.  I think dedicated devs will usually be driven to try new things, polish what's working to a fine sheen, and making sure the artistic vision is fully realized.  Producers are mostly concerned with staying relevant to market trends, appealing to the widest audience possible, and generating more revenue and profits as quickly as possible.  Designers are then caught in the middle, and need to keep both groups satiated.  The final design, therefore, is usually a mixed bag of cool but partially realized mechanics and missed opportunities that provide players with relatively familiar gameplay without taking too many risks.  In short: fun but expected.

Games also fall into ruts just like anything else.  The decided bulk of players wants to "go go go!", not "immerse" the way people like I (and I imagine you) do.  I can't begin to recall all of the times I've watched players playing a game like FO4 or Skyrim by making a character with a green mohawk, moving everywhere at a sprint, bunnyhopping over mountains and walls to save time, skimming then skipping through all dialogue, mashing the attack button to spam the same attack for every combat encounter from the beginning of the game to the end, then leaning back and saying, "Aw, man!  That is an awesome game!"

It's...most players in my experience.  If they encounter mechanics that make them spend 10-15 minutes to carefully stalk and hunt prey, delay a quest to find a safe place to rest for 30+ hours in order to heal, then carefully scout out the enemy for 5 minutes before carefully planning an approach...they'll quit.  They want to charge the radstag with a baseball bat and pummel it to death, inject stimpacks while dashing for the next objective, and charge the defensive enemy position in a straight line with minigun blazing.  If they need to reload 7 times to finally get it, they're fine with that: they're playing on "survival / hardcore mode".

I wish that Beth would simply include "options".  Wonderful things options.  It lets players decide how to play.  I loved playing Skyrim with Basic Needs or iNeed set to a value of "2".  I get to play without constantly opening my menu every few minutes to eat or drink.  If I miss 1 day without water or 3 days without food, I'm hurting (which feels perfect to me -- I once went nearly 4 days without eating IRL, was perfectly fine, but definitely noticed at that point).  Whereas most "survival" games I pick up require my character to eat a small sheep every 12 hours or they're passing out from starvation (looking at you, Balrum [but thank you for the "Reduced Hunger" option!!!]).  Not sure why these variables could not simply have been sliders added to the game with pre-set suggested levels in FO4.

Alright...I'm gonna count to -one-.

@LeBurns said:

@Fenrus said:
 Doing a no settlement character now.
Checking the Pipboy I have Sanctuary and Red Rocket.  Sanctuary has Preston's gang and a happiness of 4 (I have to smile every time I see that).  I still have the quest to see Preston at Sanctuary ... that will never happen.  Red Rocket has zero settlers and is just my player home.
I've liberated some settlement areas just playing around but I never touch the bench.  I also have some quests done for settlements but I never talk to the settlers there.  The settlement freedom is just amazing.
I still have the quest to ask about Shawn in DC.  Been there, haven't done it and am not going to.  I know the interview with Piper forces the issue so I'll never do it.  In my SS eyes both her husband and child are dead so she's not looking for them.  She just has a lot of bitterness and hate inside her now and will kill anyone that looks at her the wrong way.  Dogmeat is her only companion.

I am trying something different with my new game - 'Nate' left the vault - saw that Sanctuary was deserted decided to look for an active settlement.  Eventually found Ten Pines Bluff, helped the settlers with some raiders and started farming with them. I am ignoring everything to do with the main quest (I haven't talked to Codsworth/dogmeat/Preston) and just building up Ten Pines and Starlight drivein - selling water and farming adhesive for experience. (I only plan a maximum of 2 or 3 settlements).

I have found it to be a more relaxing playing the game at a slower pace farming and building those two settlements than fighting all the time. Eventually I might arrive at diamond city one day. I will only visit Codsworth for the first time after finishing the main quest (if I ever do it.). Preston will be left at Concord.

@kyra said:

@Capt_Sensib1e said:
If CDPR had such gud writers, you would think they would think up a storyline that that doesn't involve you playing as Gerald 😆
Trust me, Bethesda writing is way superior and more mature.
 Capt_Sensible, sometimes you are a Capt_NeedMoreCoffee 
Geralt is a book character and the games made to bring his universe from books to interactive world - that games are.  Polish game developer CDR never intended any other than bring Polish authors book character into knowledge of wider audience.  And tehy succeeded on that pretty well. Not only some people learned there exists Poland as European country (I kid you not!),  audience also learned its base don whole series of pretty good books. 
What comes to Bethesda writers and my true and  opinion of them since Oblivion, I'd get   perma ban and I like you guys too much to get that happening.  I think Bethesda writers are [Pretty Well Censored that just Censored is not enough]. 
Disclaimer : No Bethesda writers nor synths were harmed during making this post. 

Yes.  I think we all know that.  That doesn't change the fact that Geralt is one of the most boring characters I have played in any game.  I simply loathe him.  Where @Capt_Sensib1e went wrong is not saying that you can also play as Ciri (she's not much better, but she keeps her top on most of the time).

Beth being superior writers?  Perhaps, since they come up with their own stories and ideas, but, I still think that W3 had better dialogue writing.

@DaelonDuluc2016 said:

@kyra said:
@Capt_Sensib1e said:
If CDPR had such gud writers, you would think they would think up a storyline that that doesn't involve you playing as Gerald 😆
Geralt is a book character and the games made to bring his universe from books to interactive world - that games are.  Polish game developer CDR never intended any other than bring Polish authors book character into knowledge of wider audience.  And tehy succeeded on that pretty well. Not only some people learned there exists Poland as European country (I kid you not!),  audience also learned its base don whole series of pretty good books. 
What comes to Bethesda writers and my true and  opinion of them since Oblivion, I'd get   perma ban and I like you guys too much to get that happening.  I think Bethesda writers are [Pretty Well Censored that just Censored is not enough]. 
Disclaimer : No Bethesda writers nor synths were harmed during making this post. 
 Yes.  I think we all know that.  That doesn't change the fact that Geralt is one of the most boring characters I have played in any game.  I simply loathe him.  Where @Capt_Sensib1e went wrong is not saying that you can also play as Ciri (she's not much better, but she keeps her top on most of the time).
Beth being superior writers?  Perhaps, since they come up with their own stories and ideas, but, I still think that W3 had better dialogue writing.

Sometimes game character does not work for a player for various reasons. It has no link with the writing. It is just that the particular character does not work for you. For example I hated playing as Ciri. She is overpowered, and I do not like her being some sort of a key that everyone fancies. Outside her plots I find that W3 was well driven with good space. However there are games that I cannot play the same. I.e. Assassins Creed. Where Connor was main protagonist. I liked the game, the setting, but oeeeeeeehehh he must have been s***est protagonist I've ever played in any given game. 

// My art - http://tenebrare.tumblr.com/ + FanArt sections of forums here
// Institute Fan Club
// Have a CITastic Day!

I can understand the not liking Geralt thing.  I didn't really get what I was supposed to be in TW1.  Read the first novel and immediately got sucked into the world and the character.  But I love dark fantasy like that.  In general, if the gameplay is immersive, I do not mind playing pre-made characters.

I never want to see it in a Beth game again, though.  I would say about 50% of my enjoyment with Beth titles is being able to interpret my own character's reactions as I see fit.

@kyra said:

When you have survivalist perks, your food would heal more and faster than stimpaks. "Wait here deathclaw, I run behind that stone, eat some odd junk that tases like dirt and sand, but heals my wounds wuick" ,,,, I rather see stimpaks do tehir job faster. Stimpaks are something from the Falloutuniverse that does not have to make sense in our world.

Bit late, difference between FO3 and now is stimpack used to instant heal to the amount your skills set, not a timed heal, food was maybe timed? Why stimpack changed? may be that some mods added timed stimpack into game, but yes it sound silly not silly it ridiculous that food should ever heal quicker than stimpack. Odd though I do sometimes hide out of way for a moment to heal before finishing fight, the mods that added slow release stimpack in FO3 made me get used to that. Survival with this odd food better than stim sounds not well done?

@DaelonDuluc2016 said:

@kyra said:
@Capt_Sensib1e said:

Yay I can play with and interact with a bunch of Final Fantasy character design rejects.

That's one of the things I like most about Bethesda, they do not try to be hip, edgy, dark, topical, moody, brooding or "cool" in any way.  If they did they would annoy the heck out of me like most other large game companies.  

Bethesda is pure cornball escapism.

@Plebeian said:

I never want to see it in a Beth game again, though.  I would say about 50% of my enjoyment with Beth titles is being able to interpret my own character's reactions as I see fit.

How you do that? voice and pre-set answers do not allow variety on character reactions? I said a day or so ago, in game you can say No to question but still they give you quest, why give player a negative or sarcastic reply if NPC like Preston still say same thing to player? If choices given to the player speech then Bethesda should give choices to answers as well, if you say No to quest from someone but MQ needs it done find another way to convince player it needs doing?

@MarianHawke said:

Either way, despite the hate the Repair System got, it did add to the immersion. Besides, no one said you needed to keep all those weapons on you, coulda just have some repair kits you know?

Just to agree with the point of repair needed in FO4: 

@FreyjaIceDragon said:

@Plebeian said:
 How you do that? voice and pre-set answers do not allow variety on character reactions? I said a day or so ago, in game you can say No to question but still they give you quest, why give player a negative or sarcastic reply if NPC like Preston still say same thing to player? If choices given to the player speech then Bethesda should give choices to answers as well, if you say No to quest from someone but MQ needs it done find another way to convince player it needs doing?

I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to having the protagonist "voiced".  I prefer simply imagining what my character's voice sounds like and exactly what words they would use.  Voiced protagonists only really work if your character is at least somewhat established for you (The Witcher, Bioware's titles, etc.) and the writing lives up to at least TV quality.  Furthermore, every single aspect of the character that is fleshed out for you is an aspect that the player can't create on their own.

@Plebeian said:

@FreyjaIceDragon said:
@Plebeian said:
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to having the protagonist "voiced".  I prefer simply imagining what my character's voice sounds like and exactly what words they would use.  Voiced protagonists only really work if your character is at least somewhat established for you (The Witcher, Bioware's titles, etc.) and the writing lives up to at least TV quality.  Furthermore, every single aspect of the character that is fleshed out for you is an aspect that the player can't create on their own.

Ah sorry not read original comment properlly, yes I agree the voice does not allow your own imagination to create your own character, it ruin the Bethesda 'make your own character' basic of all their games to the point I now just make same looking new character and just vary where I go not change how I play. Does make game easier with replay as I use same style so I just get better with my similar build and get bored with the repeats so I travel in different directions and honestly avoid verbal contact as much as possible and clear out places that I know need doing. 

Everything (well not all situations) but most are so pre-set that you cannot change events with a simple verbal No, if you cannot do that why they add verbal choices in? They need to stop trying to copy other games and stick to what players want, a character that can easily let the player use imagination and play as different person each time, voice protagonist ruined one of Bethesda best game asset?

@FreyjaIceDragon said:

Ah sorry not read original comment properlly, yes I agree the voice does not allow your own imagination to create your own character, it ruin the Bethesda 'make your own character' basic of all their games to the point I now just make same looking new character and just vary where I go not change how I play. Does make game easier with replay as I use same style so I just get better with my similar build and get bored with the repeats so I travel in different directions and honestly avoid verbal contact as much as possible and clear out places that I know need doing. 
Everything (well not all situations) but most are so pre-set that you cannot change events with a simple verbal No, if you cannot do that why they add verbal choices in? They need to stop trying to copy other games and stick to what players want, a character that can easily let the player use imagination and play as different person each time, voice protagonist ruined one of Bethesda best game asset?

When this character

Sounds exactly like this character

Then there is a serious problem with having a voiced PC.  Don't ever do it again Bethesda!  😒

@LeBurns said:

When this character
Sounds exactly like this character
Then there is a serious problem with having a voiced PC.  Don't ever do it again Bethesda!  😒

Well ... let me try to add slightly more contrast, may I ? 

When he ... 

sounds exactly like this : 

And  while it hasn't been problem to me on  most characters and It does not annoy  all the time, but when i try to change their manners  or behavior more distinctive.  I am not bothered by the skin colour of my characters and their background, but the simple fact that they are NOT  different in any shape or form, when they speak. I've spent 800 hours or so on 1st character and when I make other characters and when they sound like my 1st character, it poses a little mental challenge to my ability to "re-program" their voice mentally. 

In other words. I am not bothered by the voiced character by itself. But I am bothered when I replay game as any  other character.  If i would have been black guy 1st, I would have been annoyed my white guy sounding like him, not because of their looks, but the fact the 2nd is not the 1st. 

// My art - http://tenebrare.tumblr.com/ + FanArt sections of forums here
// Institute Fan Club
// Have a CITastic Day!

@kyra said:

In other words. I am not bothered by the voiced character by itself. But I am bothered when I replay game as any  other character.  If i would have been black guy 1st, I would have been annoyed my white guy sounding like him, not because of their looks, but the fact the 2nd is not the 1st. 

I never really even went there in my mind.  That would be quite annoying.

@Plebeian said:

@kyra said:
I never really even went there in my mind.  That would be quite annoying.

So someone's voice is determined by their race?  Funny, in the real world that's REALLY, REALLY not true.

@DaelonDuluc2016 said:

So someone's voice is determined by their race?  Funny, in the real world that's REALLY, REALLY not true.

Indeed, talk to just about any Brit on the phone, and you can almost 100% of the time not be able to tell what color their skin is.

@Sunnie said:

@DaelonDuluc2016 said:
 Indeed, talk to just about any Brit on the phone, and you can almost 100% of the time not be able to tell what color their skin is.

Frankly, it's any American as well, despite what the media would have you believe.