Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

How will we use Caps (outside of travel)?

So, Caps were always a pretty straightforward currency in previous games.  Given both the fact of when Fallout 76 takes place, and the fact of the lack of having a world populated by hundreds of NPCs and shopkeepers, where does it benefit us to gather Caps for anything other than Fast Travel?

I know that we could, say, use them to trade with other players (creating sort of a player-driven economy), but it would just make more sense to barter item-for-item at that point, and with the inclusion of the Atoms currency for Cosmetics purchases that eliminates the use in an in-game store of sorts.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

@Egorimus said:

So, Caps were always a pretty straightforward currency in previous games.  Given both the fact of when Fallout 76 takes place, and the fact of the lack of having a world populated by hundreds of NPCs and shopkeepers, where does it benefit us to gather Caps for anything other than Fast Travel?
I know that we could, say, use them to trade with other players (creating sort of a player-driven economy), but it would just make more sense to barter item-for-item at that point, and with the inclusion of the Atoms currency for Cosmetics purchases that eliminates the use in an in-game store of sorts.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

There are NPC shops in this game.

@LemonyNebula said:

@Egorimus said:

those arent npc's those are robots, which apparently arent the same thing *shrug*

but caps from what i saw are used to pay for items from vendors+players, used to move the camp, fast travel and paying your bounty off when killed

@dsalter said:

@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:
 those arent npc's those are robots, which apparently arent the same thing *shrug*
but caps from what i saw are used to pay for items from vendors+players, used to move the camp, fast travel and paying your bounty off when killed

NPC stands for “non playable character”, so robots are NPCs.

@Clammy said:

@dsalter said:
@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:

i was being sarcastic :P

@dsalter said:

@Clammy said:
@dsalter said:
@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:
 i was being sarcastic :P

Oh.  Carry on. 

"currency," is just a way to make trades easyer, then you don't necessarily need to walk around with alot of stuff on y.

we can trade caps and items with other players, maybe someone has a gun you want?

It's worth noting as well that players don't decide on the price when trading with other players, all items have a set price, only influenced by some perk cards and charisma. Which means you can't give something for free to someone through the trading interface, and unless you trade with something with the exact same value, caps will be needed to compensate the difference.

@dsalter said:

@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:

I've seen ONE traveling vendor that was not a robot...it was a super mutant, was even yappin about his past, so must have a backstory...some dude posted a video on it yesterday...

I'm pretty sure I saw a clip of someone using a vending machine

@Tylerj21 said:

@dsalter said:
@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:

I've seen ONE traveling vendor that was not a robot...it was a super mutant, was even yappin about his past, so must have a backstory...some dude posted a video on it yesterday...

moo moo the pack brahnim tho :D

@dsalter said:

@Tylerj21 said:
@dsalter said:
@LemonyNebula said:
@Egorimus said:

moo moo the pack brahnim tho :D

Ah you saw that...lol yea that was good..

@teragon said:

It's worth noting as well that players don't decide on the price when trading with other players, all items have a set price, only influenced by some perk cards and charisma. Which means you can't give something for free to someone through the trading interface, and unless you trade with something with the exact same value, caps will be needed to compensate the difference.

On player-to-player trades, it starts at market price and there's a slider to negotiate. There's gameplay footage that I can't find at the moment...

@Billupscrkmonk said:

@teragon said:
On player-to-player trades, it starts at market price and there's a slider to negotiate. There's gameplay footage that I can't find at the moment...

This is true^^^

Furthermore the slider can be moved to zero caps there by giving an Item to another player.  Or you could just drop the item and let the pick it up.  Caps will also be used for several other things not described in this thread.

@Billupscrkmonk said:

@teragon said:

Good to know, I missed that !

you can't. there is no text chat in the game.  You'll just have to scream into your microphone.