Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Reddit Post about the state of the fanbase

So I like to keep it drama free with anything I post and for the most part I am able to avoid it or end it if i can.

I simply felt I had to share this post off of reddit. For better or worse I think players who are looking to play 76 or those that are not should read this. As it pertains to a significant thing that is going on in the community. If this blows up from here I am sorry its not my intent. Its simply to be mindful. If anything just disregard it if you have no interest in it. It would be nice however to get some feed back on these forums. Please comment if you have anything you wish to share.

Below is the link. Not my words

"Just a reminder: If you’re excited about FO76 in any way, stay the hell away from r/fallout"

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/...

I saw similar negativity on certain YouTube video comments as well, a veritable barrage of rancor.  Hence the adage: "You can please some of the people some of the time.  But, you can't please all of the people all the time."  I guess I'm easy to please because I'm happy with both FO4 and FO76 as they stand.  For me it's the HHOS, scifi tropes, and story lines that make it fun for me; the survival aspects are challenging - but a means to an end really.  Aside from some of the intricate lore found in several MMORPGs, and related fantasy genre, I haven't see such an intricate world created in games that I've ever played before.  Furthermore the world created by the Fallout series is infinitely more relatable to my own life experiences, having been alive in the 1960s, than Tolkien-esque fantasy worlds.  It is both immersive and absurd at the same time; an alternate universe that you're happy to visit, but wouldn't want to live in.  And yet, perhaps we do already given a number of disturbing parallels?  🐉

We are too pro for them. Noobs, noobs everywhere. 

I thought this summed up my opinion well.

I don't get why people have to be so negative, Seems like they are just trying to drag everyone else down with em. It's ok while they are hating I will be singing "West Virginia take me home!"

Most of the negativity stems from disappointment, I think. When you realize that the Bethesda Fallout Games seem to have more in common with the universally hated "Burned Game" than F1 and F2, it's bound to cause disappointment in some people (Like myself).

But the "argumentation" is equally stupid on both sides. I've seen the "True Fan" argument from both the "Old Schoolers" and the "Newcomers". One side prefers classic RPG's, the other prefers Shooters. It's as simple as that, really. Well, That and which game was their introduction to the franchise. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

@Le610n said:

Most of the negativity stems from disappointment, I think. When you realize that the Bethesda Fallout Games seem to have more in common with the universally hated "Burned Game" than F1 and F2, it's bound to cause disappointment in some people (Like myself).

But the "argumentation" is equally stupid on both sides. I've seen the "True Fan" argument from both the "Old Schoolers" and the "Newcomers". One side prefers classic RPG's, the other prefers Shooters. It's as simple as that, really. Well, That and which game was their introduction to the franchise. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Its kind of a Rose-tinted glasses situation concerning Interplay because like you said nostalgia is a powerful thing, especially when you think of that game or the lesser known Fallout Extreme(I mean extreme...really lol).

It is amazing with FO community ever since - its is not as much  about different opinions existing (as guess what such is life - different view points exist), but community itself trying to claim that 'other side is the negative side' - saw that with NV, saw that with 4, and here now I see  it with 76 -  the ones, who get more critical view get called haters, and  the others see themselves as white knights - essentially dividing community further.  I do believe this is nothing new, unique or post worthy - its what FO community has always been because of the origins of the franchise. The day Bethesda got its rights - a great divide was already born. Now add multiplayer, you have another great divide. 

I have only one meme for all of this topic aka humans. Humans never change. : 

@PLAOperative said:

Its kind of a Rose-tinted glasses situation concerning Interplay because like you said nostalgia is a powerful thing, especially when you think of that game or the lesser known Fallout Extreme(I mean extreme...really lol).

Absolutely. I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't made by the original creator, it's not canon. And that goes for all forms of entertainment: Books, Games, Movies.

It's like Frank Herberts Dune series, which his son continued writing books for after his fathers death. Just because it says "Dune" in the title and Brian now owns the rights to the series doesn't mean what he writes comes anywhere close to his fathers work. But if Brians work was your introduction to the Duneiverse, chances are you're going to see his books as the definition of a "Dune-book".

@Le610n said:

The initial fallout fanbase were hardcore cRPG fans as that is the type of people fallout 1 and 2 appealed to.  After Bethesda acquired the IP and made fallout 3 part of that fanbase stuck around while others decided to not play it as they did not like games with shooter mechanics in it and preferred combat that was more akin to strategy games rather than action games.  Part of the initial fanbase that ignored fallout 3 did get lured in by the development team that had worked on fallout new vegas, but many ignored fnv as well due to its action based gameplay mechanics.  fallout 3 and fallout new vegas brought on board new people who either did not play fallout 1 and fallout 2 or who tried them and could not enjoy them due to the gameplay mechanics.  fallout 4 upped the action and reduced the rpg features in the game, so a portion of the fanbase (either from the initial fanbase or those who got on board with fallout 3 and/or fallout new vegas) who didn't mind action elements as long as some strong rpg elements remained decided to jump ship, and fallout 4 managed to bring on board people who did not play the earlier fallout games, or could not enjoy any of them due to their game mechanics.

so now we have a fanbase that consists of those from the initial fanbase who persevered through the transformation in game mechanics and narrative that fallout has endured over the years (especially with Bethesda continuously experimenting with fallout), those who got on board with fallout 3 or fallout new vegas and who decided not to jump ship with fallout 4, and those who got on board with fallout 4.

so here we are again at that point where choices have to be made, do we jump ship or continue on with fallout 76?

despite the changes fallout has gone through it has always remained a single player game revolving around rpg features and mechanics of varying degrees-from hard-core to light-as its central focal point. 

this is not the case with fallout 76, and for many this change is something that, despite the title of fallout, will make this game undesirable for them, multiplayer is just too big a change for some to continue to stay on board through this game and yet again a portion of the fanbase (and my guess is it will be a larger portion than those instances before) will jump ship (myself included).

some people who see this as "hate" cannot seem to get their heads around the fact that the fallout title and some fallout themes is just not enough for every single fallout fan, just as part of the fanbase has jumped ship with each new iteration of fallout in the past, a part of the current fanbase is going to jump ship with this title as well.  Whether Bethesda will be able to get at least a part of them back on board with fallout 5?  time will tell.

so a large portion of the current fallout fanbase is left with a brand new fallout game that they are not going to be able to play mainly due to its multiplayer nature, this is not an easy thing for a fallout fan so some are going to question why Bethesda has decided to do this.

I agree completely, Beyasal. I too am jumping ship on this one. I only wished I'd done so back at F4, alas it's too late for a refund on that account.

I have to admit, I'm worried for TESVI as well, but we'll get to that soon enough.

I was right in the middle of the BFV overexaggerated drama. This is a schoolyard fight compared to that.

But anyway, Internet is in general a toxic place. It works as a riot: it provides a certain degree of anonymity, and the mob mentality takes over. So they basically "destroy" anything in their way. Videogames, politicians, celebrities, institutions, companies... everything is good to unleash the rage at.

Why do they do this? I don't know, each person has a different reason. Maybe some don't even have one: some people walk by a riot in the street and get caught up in this mob mentality without even knowing why the riot started to begin with.

So I'd say that you shouldn't pay much attention to certain sites on the Internet that are always full of hate (YouTube, for example). Let them rage for a while, until they find the next "cool thing" to target.

I like any game that isn't garbage.

That is the superlative perspective! 😆

@Kyra said:

the ones, who get more critical view get called haters, and  the others see themselves as white knights

Wait, are you saying that those of us who don't get angry at BGS for not making the same game over and over again consider ourselves to be White Knights?  You think that people for whom cRPG means games like Fallout 1&2 exclusively are seen unfairly as haters?  

All this nerdy hipster gatekeeping about what is, and is not, a Fallout rpg is really tired.  I may not agree with those that want Fallout to be one thing forever, but I don't wouldn't say they aren't real fans.  Why shouldnt they do the same?

A long while back,  I joined a reddit channel that, last I looked, was pretty generally positive and enthusiastic, much more than here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Marke...

One thing you come to realize about fandoms in general for any media medium...

It's this.

War. War never changes.

@Billmonaghan said:

A long while back,  I joined a reddit channel that, last I looked, was pretty generally positive and enthusiastic, much more than here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Marke...

Because people who are more critical may have user in forums, where feedback is read than make account  for reddit to join a channel to express their concerns for the sake of it, where it is  most likely not seen by developer. 

I see some posters here seem to mistake cautiousness into hate or negativism. Those are not the same thing at all. Which is why i have started to feel that some topics that begin with words 'forum here is negative, grow up' as baits and trolling since forums here are not negative at all. There's no actual hate represented towards 76, there are no attacks towards people, who like the game and so on. I am not sure who wins from making such spins begin with instead trying to unite the community and  bring positive vibes trough example.

And  it is natural that old fans are worried about unknown and new features - this is not negativism nor hate.

@Le610n said:

I agree completely, Beyasal. I too am jumping ship on this one. I only wished I'd done so back at F4, alas it's too late for a refund on that account.
I have to admit, I'm worried for TESVI as well, but we'll get to that soon enough.

Wasn't a fan of TES Online(didnt feel like TES to me), ain't a big fan(yet? waiting till Beta) of F76. Will probably not buy it until it's heavily discounted though. I did however enjoy Fallout 4, even though it was not as good as previous games.

@homeisbethesda said:

"Just a reminder: If you’re excited about FO76 in any way, stay the hell away from r/fallout"

I think he meant to say: "If you would like to stay sane, stay the hell away from /r/fallout"
That place is an absolute hellhole 

@Kyra said:

And  it is natural that old fans are worried about unknown and new features - this is not negativism nor hate.

That is absolutely true.

The negativism and hate comes from postings that are full of negativism and hate, not only for Bethesda, but anyone who has a different opinion.  Personal attacks, trolling, threats, etc are not "fans worried about the unknown", expressing themselves.