Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Would you judge other players based on their appearance?

If they sport a mohawk or dreadlocks (maybe with pink hair), alongside the silliest tattoo you could pick in the game, maybe wearing a clown skin, would you take them seriously?

I play on Xbox One.

Well of course not.  They're not taking the game seriously, why should I take them seriously?

They might be fun to play alongside, but tbh I'll keep my eye out for the folk in slate gray Combat or Power Armor, because I know they care more about attacking than looks, and I might well need to be on the defense.

@sadishist said:

If they sport a mohawk or dreadlocks (maybe with pink hair), alongside the silliest silly tattoo you could pick in the game, maybe wearing a clown suit, would you take them seriously?

It's a computer game, not real life. The "fierce face" approach isn't going to help anyone.

"The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything except our way of thinking. Thus we are drifting toward catastrophe beyond conception. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive."- Albert Einstein.

Because of the way Bethesda Fallout equipment tables are structured and especially with item wear, everyone is going to look like raiders or worse for much of the game. People will equip the best piece they own for each slot more often than not even if it's a horrible mixture of types. Even though a lot of players will max level the game in the first 24 hours or so, no one will be able to max-out matching gear that fast. It's even difficult in FO4 to put together good matching sets of legendary. And wearing The Dapper Gent is almost necessary. 

So while some people may run around in red dresses with Eyebot helmets, they won't be wearing that for much but standing around.

Power Armor may not be as popular as it seems it would due to decay/repair in a multiplayer environment being a lot more trouble than stimpacks + drugs.

@rathpig said:

Because of the way Bethesda Fallout equipment tables are structured and especially with item wear, everyone is going to look like raiders or worse for much of the game. People will equip the best piece they own for each slot more often than not even if it's a horrible mixture of types. Even though a lot of players will max level the game in the first 24 hours or so, no one will be able to max-out matching gear that fast. It's even difficult in FO4 to put together good matching sets of legendary. And wearing The Dapper Gent is almost necessary. 
So while some people may run around in red dresses with Eyebot helmets, they won't be wearing that for much but standing around.
Power Armor may not be as popular as it seems it would due to decay/repair in a multiplayer environment being a lot more trouble than stimpacks + drugs.

This is soooo true! My character will definitely look like a ragtag ragamuffin for I'm sure a long time in the game scrounging the best pieces of armor she can get to wear. However, I plan to have her wear nerd glasses ASAP (if they have glasses in FO 76) to show her peaceful intentions! LOL! 😆

@tamurrow said:

My character will definitely look like a ragtag ragamuffin for I'm sure a long time in the game

One of my almost level 200 FO4 characters still looks less than stellar because of the silly Dapper Gent hat and I can't find a Luck +2 heavy combat left leg to match the right. 

I guess I like it that way because I play on PC and could fix it with a simple console command.

@deostades said:

Well of course not.  They're not taking the game seriously, why should I take them seriously?
They might be fun to play alongside, but tbh I'll keep my eye out for the folk in slate gray Combat or Power Armor, because I know they care more about attacking than looks, and I might well need to be on the defense.

How do we know combat armor or PA have higher stats than some clothing skin?

I play on Xbox One.

@rathpig said:

Well that's gear, but how about cosmetic character customization?

I play on Xbox One.

I certainly hope no one will judge by appearence. I was planning on draping a Deathclaw pelt over me and walk around grunting.... could become quite the bullet magnet if people hold out dated prejudices. 

[AmoC] A Murder of Crows Multi-Gaming clan. www.amurderofcrows.de

@sadishist said:

how about cosmetic character customization?

Strangers don't get that close to me in online PvP games. One of us will be dead before either of us can comment on hairstyles. But overall, I don't care. I tend to make traditional looking characters because I have to look at it, but I don't make a judgement about others if that's their thing. If they use a nick like "xXxPu$$$yGr4B3rXxX", that's automatic kill on sight for cosmic justice reasons alone. Spazzed out looking characters and wannabe hacker names do tend to go together, so there is that.

@rathpig said:

@sadishist said:
how about cosmetic character customization?
 Strangers don't get that close to me in online PvP games. One of us will be dead before either of us can comment on hairstyles. But overall, I don't care. I tend to make traditional looking characters because I have to look at it, but I don't make a judgement about others if that's their thing. If they use a nick like "xXxPu$$$yGr4B3rXxX", that's automatic kill on sight for cosmic justice reasons alone. Spazzed out looking characters and wannabe hacker names do tend to go together, so there is that.

Well the thing is that is there are guidelines for names in place already, in both Xbox and PS (dunno about PC), and names that don't follow it are removed. Thus all current players will have names that are within the rules. You can't make up your own rule for which name is legal, since that is up to Sony and Microsoft. If you question if a particular player's name (example xXxPu$$$yGr4B3rXxX) goes against guidelines then you can submit a report of that person's gamertag to Microsoft or Sony. If their name irks you but is legal, then it is still legal.

I play on Xbox One.

would someone living in a vault dressed up and having a hair cut resembling someone out of a 1950s sitcom just say "hi there" to some tattooed person with a mohawk coming at them?

could your player character judge someone based on their appearance?  you as the player may not judge someone based on their appearance but your player character probably would.

Tomorrow never comes until it's too late

@beyasal said:

would someone living in a vault dressed up and having a hair cut resembling someone out of a 1950s sitcom just say "hi there" to some tattooed person with a mohawk coming at them?
could your player character judge someone based on their appearance?  you as the player may not judge someone based on their appearance but your player character probably would.

^^this

Remember, everyone is starving, infact someone probably just ate their dog. Tend to lean on the shoot first side to this question. Unless of course I had 3 power armored friends all with Deathclaw pets armed with fatman's and miniguns - then I might count to 5 - just to see if the person had a dog, being hungry and all.

@pjnt said:

@beyasal said:
 ^^this
Remember, everyone is starving, infact someone probably just ate their dog. Tend to lean on the shoot first side to this question. Unless of course I had 3 power armored friends all with Deathclaw pets armed with fatman's and miniguns - then I might count to 5 - just to see if the person had a dog, being hungry and all.

Mr. Harding, in his argyle sweater and neatly combed to the side hair, would probably be thinking "oh my, Scott has turned into an injun savage*, he's going to eat me"...bang

*they come from a world where politically correct means the guy you vote for is correct while the other guy is wrong

Tomorrow never comes until it's too late

@sadishist said:

you can submit a report

I could care less whether a corporation thinks it's a "legal" nick. It's simply not cosmically acceptable and must be dealt with immediately. Legal for some company doesn't make it acceptable in my presence. That's why they put PvP into games. Of course, I've been owned more than once in my quest for game-nick cosmic justice. Evil and horrible taste often triumph over aesthetic correctness. But war never changes. 

And, in general, I'm not a report submitter unless it's really egregious like someone obviously running scripts. I'll file my report upside their head in person in all but the very rarest of cases. Or I'll end up face down and come back for more.

@beyasal said:

*they come from a world where politically correct means the guy you vote for is correct while the other guy is wrong

Fallout is set in the United States after all.

@rathpig said:

@sadishist said:
you can submit a report
 I could care less whether a corporation thinks it's a "legal" nick. It's simply not cosmically acceptable and must be dealt with immediately. Legal for some company doesn't make it acceptable in my presence. That's why they put PvP into games. Of course, I've been owned more than once in my quest for game-nick cosmic justice. Evil and horrible taste often triumph over aesthetic correctness. But war never changes. 
And, in general, I'm not a report submitter unless it's really egregious like someone obviously running scripts. I'll file my report upside their head in person in all but the very rarest of cases. Or I'll end up face down and come back for more.

lol

Due to me being a 53 year old ex (original 70's - 80's) punk rocker I don't judge people on appearance, I have a mohawk in any game it's possible to do so, partly because I wish I still had enough hair to be able to grow one again lol, and often have my character tattooed because I have many of them myself. I'll also be wearing any old mismatched bits of clothing or (non power) armour that do the best job.That doesn't mean I'm going to be 'shootin and lootin' everybody I come across, in fact I prefer to play a lone wanderer that'll help anybody in need, do a bit of trade and be on my merry way again with the hope that others will treat me in the same manner.

@rathpig said:

@sadishist said:
you can submit a report

Killing in PVP is legitimate, but if you're doing it for griefing purpose (because of their name or anything else) then not so.

I play on Xbox One.

If you kill someone based on their appearance or name, guess that makes you a griefer, eh?

Please don’t kill my character, “XxX_N0obKiLLah_69” based on his purple Mohawk...please?

The West Virginia Trading Company is now recruiting members and allies to help reclaim America:
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/218326/the-west-virginia-trading-company-is-recruiting
"Montani semper liberi"