Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Pete Hines - GameSpot Interview


Log in to reply

Not sure if this has been posted yet but, here's more news on Fallout 76 and other news!

 


https://bethesda.net/community/topic/213882/fallout-76-interviews?


Log in to reply

From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented


Streaming at: https://www.twitch.tv/kaligold Discord: https://discord.gg/d2uZar6


Log in to reply

@kaligold said:

From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented

 Somewhat like that - the game might be less appealing to the griefer types, if it is like that - but is still good for those seeking a challenge against other mainly pvp players. That is something a griefer type does not really want - to fight someone who can really fight back and even win eventually. Griefer types are cowards.


Log in to reply

@kaligold said:

From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented

 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?


Log in to reply

@zaggs said:

@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?

 I am pretty certain now, from listening to 2 interviews by Pete Hines now, that they are very in favor of not letting it become griefy (like Todd put it), but to keep this in the realm of a challenge, where you can opt-out, if you were beaten once. How this will work exactly, we will have to see, but it is good news so far.


Log in to reply

@lysette said:

@zaggs said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?
 I am pretty certain now, from listening to 2 interviews by Pete Hines now, that they are very in favor of not letting it become griefy (like Todd put it), but to keep this in the realm of a challenge, where you can opt-out, if you were beaten once. How this will work exactly, we will have to see, but it is good news so far.

 It looks like you may not even take damage from an initial attack from what I saw in the video. Someone fires at you and you get a pop up. At that point you can either draw your weapon to engage in the fight or simply walk away. They did say they want the drama there but not for it to be griefy so, that would make sense.


https://bethesda.net/community/topic/213882/fallout-76-interviews?


Log in to reply

@nukaranger said:

@lysette said:
@zaggs said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?
 I am pretty certain now, from listening to 2 interviews by Pete Hines now, that they are very in favor of not letting it become griefy (like Todd put it), but to keep this in the realm of a challenge, where you can opt-out, if you were beaten once. How this will work exactly, we will have to see, but it is good news so far.
 It looks like you may not even take damage from an initial attack from what I saw in the video. Someone fires at you and you get a pop up. At that point you can either draw your weapon to engage in the fight or simply walk away. They did say they want the drama there but not for it to be griefy so, that would make sense.

 Hm if that is a good idea?- I think pvp players would really hate it, because it takes away the advantage of surprise, which is a huge tactical element. And where do stealth attacks then come into play with this - they would be pointless to do, if the target has to consent first - the whole point of going stealth to get the advantage of a surprise attack would be lost.

This game should not be griefy, true, but it should as well not take all the fun out of the MP aspect for those, who love to pvp. The problem is, if the target would say, nah, I am opting out, all would be fine with this system, but if he would opt-in, then the advantage of the attacker is lost - a prime tactical element would not work like this - so my guess is, the initial attack cannot be avoided.

Edit: well, it cannot be like this - because, how would you possibly be able to opt-in or out of an attack by explosives - the initial attack is pvp, if you want it or not - but once killed by the attacker, you can opt-out to have to fight him/her again - guess maybe for the duration of the session or something like that.


Log in to reply

@zaggs said:

@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?

 I foresee Eve Online Can flipping. You attack a mob, player B runs into the line of fire. Player B's group then decimate Player A. But then I'm a cynical old git.


Log in to reply

@lysette said:

@nukaranger said:
@lysette said:
@zaggs said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?
 I am pretty certain now, from listening to 2 interviews by Pete Hines now, that they are very in favor of not letting it become griefy (like Todd put it), but to keep this in the realm of a challenge, where you can opt-out, if you were beaten once. How this will work exactly, we will have to see, but it is good news so far.
 It looks like you may not even take damage from an initial attack from what I saw in the video. Someone fires at you and you get a pop up. At that point you can either draw your weapon to engage in the fight or simply walk away. They did say they want the drama there but not for it to be griefy so, that would make sense.
 Hm if that is a good idea?- I think pvp players would really hate it, because it takes away the advantage of surprise, which is a huge tactical element. And where do stealth attacks then come into play with this - they would be pointless to do, if the target has to consent first - the whole point of going stealth to get the advantage of a surprise attack would be lost.
This game should not be griefy, true, but it should as well not take all the fun out of the MP aspect for those, who love to pvp. The problem is, if the target would say, nah, I am opting out, all would be fine with this system, but if he would opt-in, then the advantage of the attacker is lost - a prime tactical element would not work like this - so my guess is, the initial attack cannot be avoided.
Edit: well, it cannot be like this - because, how would you possibly be able to opt-in or out of an attack by explosives - the initial attack is pvp, if you want it or not - but once killed by the attacker, you can opt-out to have to fight him/her again - guess maybe for the duration of the session or something like that.

 Hmm.. Well, I didn't see any damage taken from the explosion from the rocket but, I suppose it could have exploded some distance behind him. I guess we'll find out soon enough during beta :)


https://bethesda.net/community/topic/213882/fallout-76-interviews?


Log in to reply

@difficultylevel said:

@zaggs said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 One thing to be seen is does that stop just the player that killed you, or those that they are grouped with? Also how easy is it to work around that system? DO you have to accept getting revenge, or will simply accidentally damaging your killer kick it off?
 I foresee Eve Online Can flipping. You attack a mob, player B runs into the line of fire. Player B's group then decimate Player A. But then I'm a cynical old git.

 Thought the same thing except with The Divisions system of marking rogue agents. Same scam. But I also have a dim view of humanity.


Log in to reply

@lysette said:

@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 Somewhat like that - the game might be less appealing to the griefer types, if it is like that - but is still good for those seeking a challenge against other mainly pvp players. That is something a griefer type does not really want - to fight someone who can really fight back and even win eventually. Griefer types are cowards.

 Griefers don't play games to grief.  They grief because they are bored.


Log in to reply

@woobies said:

@lysette said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 Somewhat like that - the game might be less appealing to the griefer types, if it is like that - but is still good for those seeking a challenge against other mainly pvp players. That is something a griefer type does not really want - to fight someone who can really fight back and even win eventually. Griefer types are cowards.
 Griefers don't play games to grief.  They grief because they are bored.

 That is not what psychologist say about this type of person - they are attention seeker and because they have so lousy social skills, they have to do it by annoying others and cause grief as much as they can. If one ignores this type of person, they will get bored, true, but then they will have to search for another target. The only mistake one can make when confronted with a griefer is to react to him/her and pay attention to him/her - that is what they want, but what they wont gt from me at least - and so they get bored - and will leave me alone and go grief someone else - so yes, somewhat, they grief when they are bored - but they are bored, because someone like me did not pay them any attention and just ignored them. A griefer is best fought off, by not reacting and totally ignoring him/her.


Log in to reply

I believe that (as has been messaged a few times) both Pete and Todd's eyes are going to be widened during the beta.  I also agree that they need to open the beta, to get the best of the worst into this game so that they can learn these lessons.

At the end of the day, they are going to learn the same lesson Ubisoft learned and they will need to separate PvP and PvE elements of the game.  It is the only 100% way to ensure that both sides are appeased.

This can be accomplished in two ways:  (1) PVP / PVE servers that are selected in your start menu, or (2) Like the Division, have designated PvP zones within the map.

If they do not want to go this way for whatever reason, as they do not see this as consistent with their vision, rank the servers.  You can even go as far as changing the game engagement rules within those rank divisions. For example, if the game caps at level 150 (only an example for discussion purposes), you have a beginner server that is level 1-20 that automatically has not friendly fire on as default.  Once the player reaches level 21, you rank up to the standard server, level 41 to intermediate, etc etc.

Assigning rules to servers is not a huge coding challenge and it at least allows the new player the opportunity to acclimatize to the games environment and rules before you rank to the expert server where it is 100% full on PvP survival mode with all aspects of the game mechanics to the on setting (not unlike survival is intended in our current Fallout, minus the PvP).

This brings balance to the game and does not let the casual player get swamped by the grieving buttholes that this game WILL attract in droves and will play for 48-hours straight on day one to rank up to give them their bully advantage. 


Log in to reply

Dangerous path.

So to try and appease those who want a mainly pve experience they're going to murder PvP entirely to try to ensure it isn't griefy? There is no such thing as a non-griefy pvp game, all they can do is murder PvP so hard that the game becomes a de facto PvE.


Log in to reply

@tychusfindlay919 said:

Dangerous path.
So to try and appease those who want a mainly pve experience they're going to murder PvP entirely to try to ensure it isn't griefy? There is no such thing as a non-griefy pvp game, all they can do is murder PvP so hard that the game becomes a de facto PvE.

 Which frankly is what the fans asking for online really wanted in the first place.


Log in to reply

@tychusfindlay919 said:

Dangerous path.
So to try and appease those who want a mainly pve experience they're going to murder PvP entirely to try to ensure it isn't griefy? There is no such thing as a non-griefy pvp game, all they can do is murder PvP so hard that the game becomes a de facto PvE.

 Kinda their fault for wanting to make it open world PvP. What they should have done was confine PvP to gladiator type combats (could've had 1v1, 4v4 and 12v12 at different arenas) and maybe missions with PvP'ers having the chance to earn better loot through PvP. That game, everyone wins.


Log in to reply

@tychusfindlay919 said:

Dangerous path.So to try and appease those who want a mainly pve experience they're going to murder PvP entirely to try to ensure it isn't griefy? There is no such thing as a non-griefy pvp game, all they can do is murder PvP so hard that the game becomes a de facto PvE.

 Blizzard tried to make PvP and PvE work, they realized best is just to make full PvP or full PVE and let two groups of players do their thing. If they start downgrading PvP and force pve players to PvP - they essentially make both groups unhappy and none happy.


// My art - http://tenebrare.tumblr.com/ + FanArt sections of forums here
// Institute Fan Club
// Have a CITastic Day!


Log in to reply

I dunno, it just boggles the mind that they aren't offering the option for pve.  Let the pvp folks have their fun and the pve folks have theirs, there is no reason to force one group to play with the other, doing so just makes your fans angry and they won't buy this. It's a critical option and they need to offer it, most of the dislike for the game will disappear with the snap of a finger if they offer pve.


Log in to reply

@lysette said:

@woobies said:
@lysette said:
@kaligold said:
From the sound of it, the pvp system in 76 will be a kin to - if u kill me once, i have the option of coming back and either fighting you again or opting for not fighting again, which means you cant kill me twice. He didnt explain exactly how that system will be implemented
 Somewhat like that - the game might be less appealing to the griefer types, if it is like that - but is still good for those seeking a challenge against other mainly pvp players. That is something a griefer type does not really want - to fight someone who can really fight back and even win eventually. Griefer types are cowards.
 Griefers don't play games to grief.  They grief because they are bored.
 That is not what psychologist say about this type of person - they are attention seeker and because they have so lousy social skills, they have to do it by annoying others and cause grief as much as they can. If one ignores this type of person, they will get bored, true, but then they will have to search for another target. The only mistake one can make when confronted with a griefer is to react to him/her and pay attention to him/her - that is what they want, but what they wont gt from me at least - and so they get bored - and will leave me alone and go grief someone else - so yes, somewhat, they grief when they are bored - but they are bored, because someone like me did not pay them any attention and just ignored them. A griefer is best fought off, by not reacting and totally ignoring him/her.

 Not really true.  Just ignoring the griefer doesn't stop them.  Their enjoyment comes from ruining your gameplay.  Just look at the people that would sit their giant mounts on top of mailboxes in WoW for hours.  Whether you react to them or not they already got what the wanted, ignoring them doesn't make them stop.  This is just part of building a multi-player world, and no matter what Beth tries to do these people will find their ways to ruin your gaming experience even when they aren't allowed to just outright camp you.


Log in to reply

@phoenix1717 said:

I dunno, it just boggles the mind that they aren't offering the option for pve.  Let the pvp folks have their fun and the pve folks have theirs, there is no reason to force one group to play with the other, doing so just makes your fans angry and they won't buy this. It's a critical option and they need to offer it, most of the dislike for the game will disappear with the snap of a finger if they offer pve.

 Offering full PvE experience they'd need to add more PvE content. Seems this game has very little of it ...


// My art - http://tenebrare.tumblr.com/ + FanArt sections of forums here
// Institute Fan Club
// Have a CITastic Day!