Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

January 10 Hotfix rollback (2pm EST)

Hey Quakers,

Earlier today we released a hotfix intended to solve the following issues:

• Issue causing a crash to desktop for a percentage of Steam users
  • Fixing the mouse sensitivity issue (only being able to increase sensitivity in increments of 0.25)
  • Incorrect Champions being shown on the profile screen

After deploying this hotfix, we found that some issues had been introduced that impacted the performance and playability of the game for our users. Because of this, we have decided to roll back to the previous version of the game. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and we will continue to work on a fix for these issues that is satisfactory for all our users. Thanks again for your continued patience, and we will update you as soon as we have news to share.

Update 5:43pm EST: Servers are now back online. If you experience any problems logging in, contact Bethesda Support at http://help.bethesda.net.

is it "a small percentage" of users? 

@rastablaster said:

is it "a small percentage" of users? 

A so-called "significant minority".

@mortalemperor said:

we found that some issues had been introduced that impacted the performance and playability of the game for our users. Because of this,

if by this you mean not being able to get past the "connecting to server..." screen...

How much time does this rollback take?

@mortalemperor said:

Hey Quakers,
  • Fixing the mouse sensitivity issue (only being able to increase sensitivity in increments of 0.25)
After deploying this hotfix, we found that some issues had been introduced that impacted the performance and playability of the game for our users. Because of this, we have decided to roll back to the previous version of the game. We are very sorry for the inconvenience, and we will continue to work on a fix for these issues that is satisfactory for all our users. Thanks again for your continued patience, and we will update you as soon as we have news to share.

So, on top of a hotfix that fixes only 3 minor bugs that could've been fixed within the week after deployment of the big december update, this hotfix that fixes 3 minor issues, created major performance issues that then caused a needed rollback because a minor hotfix patch that took a month, screwed over the big update?

Honestly, and don't think I'm attacking you, but what is the development team doing? No offense, but are they even competent enough to begin with? How can such a minor update create a performance hit, and for the love of god you had a whole month, HOW did it not even get properly tested? This is a joke, are you trying to kill your playerbase on purpose, or..?

@denzoa said:

Honestly, and don't think I'm attacking you, but what is the development team doing? No offense, but are they even competent enough to begin with? How can such a minor update create a performance hit, and for the love of god you had a whole month, HOW did it not even get properly tested? This is a joke, are you trying to kill your playerbase on purpose, or..?

Who? No. What? Yes.

@denzoa said:

@mortalemperor said:
Hey Quakers,
 So, on top of a hotfix that fixes only 3 minor bugs that could've been fixed within the week after deployment of the big december update, this hotfix that fixes 3 minor issues, created major performance issues that then caused a needed rollback because a minor hotfix patch that took a month, screwed over the big update?

Trooper, we're talking about QUAKE here, and Quake is all about being hardcore. So as a part of being hardcore we simply skip the testing part, roll out the hotfix and, well, roll it back because it's totally bugged and breaks the game. I see no issues with this. Do you?

@xdhrx said:

@denzoa said:
@mortalemperor said:
Hey Quakers,
 Trooper, we're talking about QUAKE here, and Quake is all about being hardcore. So as a part of being hardcore we simply skip the testing part, roll out the hotfix and, well, roll it back because it's totally bugged and breaks the game. I see no issues with this. Do you?

/sarcasm

There are definitely some code management issues. Already fixed bugs have been re-introduced multiple times. This is not a sign of competence.

I imagine there's an imp that runs around id / bethesda and every now and then throws a monkeywrench down the server room...

@xdhrx said:

@denzoa said:
@mortalemperor said:
Hey Quakers,

...And this one time, at band camp, a super balanced champions named Doomslayer was dreamed up...and he was sooooooo balanced! And he could fly, and his autoaim hulk smash punch did ALL the damage needed to kill anyone - and it took pure mad skillz to repeatedly hit the spacebar to avoid damage...and his punch was a heat seeking missile and it was fabulous! Then some patch broke him...and then a patch broke that patch and a hotfix broke the patch that broke the patch...

Does this mean Doomy will be balanced again?!?!  

@level3dispenser said:

I imagine there's an imp that runs around id / bethesda and every now and then throws a monkeywrench down the server room...

Not a single monkeywrench though, rather a truckload of them.

So the game isn't working at all now... what a 11GB+ fix...

When will we be able to play again ?

@wiselabs said:

then i'm the only one downloading 312.96 mb?

Everyone in this thread needs to calm down. They haven't had a whole month to work on a new patch or hot fix. I don't think most of you understand the delays that the holiday season causes. I guess some of you think Adam and Tim are busy writing code on Christmas morning like they are fixing some mission critical application. 

@cuthquake said:

@wiselabs said:
 then i'm the only one downloading 312.96 mb?

both on steam and bethesda launcher it was 300something mb here

@monoxidechild said:

@xdhrx said:
@denzoa said:
@mortalemperor said:
Hey Quakers,
 ...And this one time, at band camp, a super balanced champions named Doomslayer was dreamed up...and he was sooooooo balanced! And he could fly, and his autoaim hulk smash punch did ALL the damage needed to kill anyone - and it took pure mad skillz to repeatedly hit the spacebar to avoid damage...and his punch was a heat seeking missile and it was fabulous! Then some patch broke him...and then a patch broke that patch and a hotfix broke the patch that broke the patch...
Does this mean Doomy will be balanced again?!?!  

I'm in tears

The game not starting for at least  8 reasons for different people that have been discovered including a Windows Update is not a minor issue, it will have taken a significant amount of work to attempt to track down the causes and fix them, and a major holiday for the entire company will have caused a significant slow down on this even if some employees did volunteer overtime to try and work on the issue over the break.

Unfortunately a fix for one group of people has caused problems for others, such is the nature of software, rolling back to the known state is the decent / sensible thing to do until they can investigate the new issues they've found, do more rigorous testing, and deploy something that hopefully works for all, instead of risking something that could be broken for many more.

@bigpojo said:

Tim writing code. 

Tim coding saves the day since 1995 to 1999. 😜

@yakumo said:

The game not starting for at least  8 reasons for different people that have been discovered including a Windows Update is not a minor issue, it will have taken a significant amount of work to attempt to track down the causes and fix them, and a major holiday for the entire company will have caused a significant slow down on this even if some employees did volunteer overtime to try and work on the issue over the break.
Unfortunately a fix for one group of people has caused problems for others, such is the nature of software, rolling back to the known state is the decent / sensible thing to do until they can investigate the new issues they've found, do more rigorous testing, and deploy something that hopefully works for all, instead of risking something that could be broken for many more.

#TRUESTORY

I have been guilty of this myself - took me a bit to stop blaming the game and look at my system.  I made a lengthy post in response to someone else with a "Perfectly working computer"

I think I'll make a post in general in hopes that others see it...hopefully more realists like yourself reply as well - it's got to be maddening for the Devs to try to fix all of everyone's problems because they don't want to believe that it's something besides the game.