Looks like your connection to Bethesda.net Community Beta was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.

Huge backlash in Australia over fallout goty

A lot of staff at games retailers will be refusing to sell or promote the PS4/XBOX versions of fallout 4 goty 

The goty apparently will be the original install disk and a download code. The prices at most retailers for the original fallout 4 has doubled and the season pass has shot up in price

Earlier a lot retailers in Australia refused to sell the steel case for Far Harbour, not the boxed code but the empty steel case retailing at about US$20 

A retailer told me he was verbally abused by a customer when they were forwarned and that he didn't need put up with being placed in that position partly because by Bethesda

@dsm2 said:

A lot of staff at games retailers will be refusing to sell or promote the PS4/XBOX versions of fallout 4 goty 
The goty apparently will be the original install disk and a download code. The prices at most retailers for the original fallout 4 has doubled and the season pass has shot up in price
Earlier a lot retailers in Australia refused to sell the steel case for Far Harbour, not the boxed code but the empty steel case retailing at about US$20 
A retailer told me he was verbally abused by a customer when they were forwarned and that he didn't need put up with being placed in that position partly because by Bethesda

I was very disappointed when I heard this news about it being download codes, if this would've been half a year ago I would've blown a gasket because I haven't connected my PS4 to the internet yet. I thankfully was able to get connected at the end of march and did get the season pass, which was worth it for me. I really don't understand what's wrong with making a 2nd disk but I also have a good feeling about the reason why there isn't a 2nd disk.

They (Beth/Zenimax) want you to buy the season pass if you get the game new so that they can continue to get money from people. There is nothing wrong with used games, back in 2009 I got mass effect used for 15 dollars and it was the best 15 dollars I spent on a video game. That purchase lead me to getting the  following titles from Bioware. Dragon Age Origins, Awakening, Ultimate Edition, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition twice once on 360 and then again on PS4 and finally Andromeda earlier this year. I don't think any of that happens if I don't buy Mass Effect at that time. There is nothing wrong with used games, they lead to further purchases if you like the title, I see nothing wrong with that. This is also why I really don't like download codes coming with games, not everybody has a stable internet to download them.😞

The main problem is the price going up for the total content. They have increased the price of the original game and season pass so it's more expensive then the goty. The goty is listed at $79-$99 Australian, about $65-$80 US. All other goty releases in Australia are a maximum of $79 Australian, about $65 US

As for the anti piracy issues of download codes

JUST MAKE IT SO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SECOND DISK IN THE CONSOLE TO PLAY THE GAME

For a company in the tech industry they don't seem very smart

Wait so, let me get this straight. Retails in Australia are mad that the Fallout 4 GOTY has the original base game's install disk, and a code for the DLC, which were NEVER sold as separate install disks at any point?

So they are mad that Fallout 4 does the same thing as every other game with DLC that was never released as a separate disk?

@awesomepossum said:

does the same thing as every other game with DLC that was never released as a separate disk?

Except Borderlands 2 on PS3

It's not unheard of to find DLCs on the PS3 (bluray) copy of a game.

I don't think the game industry will ever return to that practice.

Only goty to have install disk and code for a console in Australia was Arkham knight. PC games tend to have download codes

In Australia most retailers even EB games do trade ins. With Arkam knight because it used the original disk, the trade in value had to be the same as the original game disk version which was not much. Trading in a game with a used code is an annoying issue for customers and retailers. If a customer buys a traded in copy of fallout 4 they will have to purchase the now expensive season pass. Some people say Bethesda are doing this to kill off the trade in gaming industry, in reality there killing off their sales

IMHO Bethesda got greedy with fallout 4 goty, they released the goty too late. Basically when horizon zero dawn was released fallout 4 was old gen. Again they got greedy, missed their window of opportunity which was traditionally 3 months after the release of the last DLC again because they were greedy

Anyway it's not so much of an issue now as the retailer who spoke to me stated after he informed customers of the code and trade in value of the game every single customer canceled their order

As for the "this is the future get used to it" arguments the industry puts out there, in this case the future is Bethesda not selling many copies of fallout 4 goty

@AwesomePossum What Bethesda could and should do is put the dlc in the GOTY on the disc with the game, the way they released Skyrim SE.

SCARLET ROGUES (Crew Commissioner) - Better Red Than Dead

PS as for the "this is the future get used to it argument"

I decree that everyone has to give me money, as previously they didn't have too, come on people why be stuck in the old outdated concepts of not giving me money

Mark Zuckerberg states privacy is dead get used to it and everyone just goes, OK

Well I am saying give me your money, it's the way of the future, it's cool, and it must be the right thing to do as its new

@dsm2 said:

PS as for the "this is the future get used to it argument"
I decree that everyone has to give me money, as previously they didn't have too, come on people why be stuck in the old outdated concepts of not giving me money
Mark Zuckerberg states privacy is dead get used to it and everyone just goes, OK
Well I am saying give me your money, it's the way of the future, it's cool, and it must be the right thing to do as its new

There is already a name for that... it's called Patreon/GoFundMe. ☺

Yes I sort of already knew that but admitting it sort of makes my sarcastic semi unrealistic argument even worse :)

@dsm2 said:

Some people say Bethesda are doing this to kill off the trade in gaming industry, in reality there killing off their sales

Sorry, but this is not just Bethesda, and it's not recent. This particular tactic started with Valve way back when they first launched Steam, and then was adopted and propagated by every other platform that relied on internet based services, and almost every publisher. They were losing a ton of revenue to the secondary market, which they had no control over, so they tried to change that.

Bethesda Game Studios/softworks has never done this before with their goty editions having it be codes for the DLC. Oblivion is an exception in the fact that it didn't have all the DLC but you only really need Shivering Isles. Fallout 3 had all the DLC, Skyrim had all the DLC, New Vegas while not a BGS game had all the DLC including gun runner's arsenal and the preorder stuff. Heck even Dishonored had all it's DLC in an ultimate edition. It's honestly a terrible move and another thing that I can't defend this companies decision over. I've been playing BGS/softwork stuff since 2008 and this is the 1st time I have to really question myself whether I can continue to support this company in the future. I can't defend this at all, it's beyond anti consumer.

Valve recently were taken to coutt by Australia's anticompetitive organization, the judge stated valve never even tried to comply with the law. Industry is completely corrupt but IMHO Bethesda are just incompetent not malicious. In Australia the price of Bethesda games are artificially inflated by retailers and other parties by the equivalent of 1% of Bethesdas total world wide sales

Killing second hand gaming is new to Australia for consoles. Also the issue in Australia is they increased the price of the original falliut 4 game and season pass to more then the price of the goty that's slso overpriced

IMHO Bethesda just got greedy, They waited too long to release the goty. They rush out games before they are completed and never hold back a game that needs extra time to be developed, Uncharted 4 was delayed about a year but no one thinks of the delay now. I joke that Bethesda begins with the letter b just like buggy and brown

Generally I have had a lot of issues with Bethesda. They all involve me wanting to purchase their products but being blocked from doing so by stupid decisions made by Bethesdas marketing people or dodgy issues involving other parties. As a result I sold all my Bethesda merchandise a while ago and only intended to purchase Arkane made games from Bethesda

It's hard to sympathize with Bethesda when they complain they are finding it hard to break into new markets like Asia, They can't do this because particularly in the Asian market these customers do not tolerate buggy games

The games studios are not the problem it's the marketing department that are arrogant and lazy. They just go into another country, treat that country like crap then complian they are the victims when consumers don't buy their products

IMHO Bethesda will go bankrupt as they haven't had a new IP accept Prey that they rushed out, and again as I said earlier when I think of Bethesda I think "Bethesda starts with the letter b just like buggy and brown"

@dsm2 said:

Valve recently were taken to coutt by Australia's anticompetitive organization, the judge stated valve never even tried to comply with the law.

That isn't surprising when Australia's laws are known for not making a lot of sense.

In no world does it make sense for you to be able to return a digital product because digital products do not actually exist, and the entire concept of returning/trading anything only works because psychical products break down, and decay, thus forcing the necessity that people buy new copies of it, while digital products do not.

Valve at least sought a clever solution to being forced int such a backwards position by enforcing a 2 hour limits on game returns

Just because a company decided to release a product in a non physical format has no bearing on laws

PS as for the issue of "non physical games" 

Why does the industry disregard consumer protection laws but not piracy laws?

@awesomepossum said:

In no world does it make sense for you to be able to return a digital product because digital products do not actually exist

Oh... my... God.

Where do you get this information?

EB Games in Australia has a simple policy for returns, if the reason is valid they honour the law that gives consumers the rights of a refund, exchange or at the least store credits if the item is unsuitable.

It is quite similar to English Law which where even more on the side of the rights of the purchaser, far more than Australia is.

I returned a game purchased for me as a present and because I had installed it as a download I had to accept store credits, which was fine by me as their sale had just started, got three games for the same value as the one i took back.

Beware of where you buy, there is a chance you have unknowingly become part of an Internet Systemic problem. BW

I think there is some confusion between the law and corporate policies. EB games in Australia like any corporation has to act lawfully.  No one gets to decide which laws they will or not follow without consequences

If I was to rob a bank and say it's my policy to rob banks, I probably will be found guilty

If a non physical product is exempt from the law then IP and piracy issues are really in trouble

Backlash now effecting wolf 2 and evil 2 pre orders.  People are now cancelling their pre orders of Bethesda games as there is uncertainty as to the format of future console releases

At the start of Bethesdas release season, this happens. In advance my apoligies to the marketing person who gets fired over derailing the whole Bethesda launch season

If Bethesda does finally release a physical copy of fallout 4 goty can someone message me as I'll be in the dishonored forum. If so I will pick up a copy of fallout 4 goty and a goty strategy guide, unless the guide is the original guide with a download code